How are factory Suburban luggage racks mounted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Guys, don't laugh but I think I'm going to install a factory luggage rack from a '90 on my '91 that has never had one before. How are they mounted? I have all the pieces that came off the '90 but I neglected to take pics when I was removing it and now I don't remember. I probably have the mounting screws or bolts, but they're mixed in with a lot of the others I took from the '90. Are they sheet metal type of screws or through-bolts that would require removal of the headliner? The rack is black and it has only four feet, not six.

The reason for the rack: just like the looks of the factory rack. I would only use it for light, small loads if at all. My '91 has brackets for a cross bar style rack that someone added along the way. If I ever want to carry a canoe up there or similar I'll use thule or yakima style bars to do it.

I'm also going to mount the overhead spoiler from the '90 on the '91 at the same time. Same style of mounting screws for that?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Haven't seen one with just four mounting feet instead of six. What's the length of it? Are you sure it's oem?

The factory stainless rack is 6' long on six mounting feet. The two middle feet are mounted with pan head sheet metal screws 1/2" long. The front and rear feet are a combination of screw types, the screws closer to the middle feet are the same pan head sheet metal screws, but the screws used in the most forward and most rearward mounting holes are 8-32 x 3/4" machine screws. Not sure what they tie into with the extra length, maybe someone that's had their headliner out can chime in.

Couple of pics of the factory rack which I used as a mounting platform for an aftermarket basket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Mine were 1/4x20 screws that look like these with a tapered shoulder. There are female threaded inserts mounted in my roof.

Attachments

• 51ekFtN3SIL._AC_UL320_SR310,320_.jpg
    51ekFtN3SIL._AC_UL320_SR310,320_.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 84

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Haven't seen one with just four mounting feet instead of six. What's the length of it? Are you sure it's oem?

You're right, it's got six feet, not four. Was mixing the feet up with the fact that it has just two cross bars not three. So I think I'll do some threaded inserts for the four outside screws and then sheet metal screws for the remainder, sound ok? I have four plastic gasket things, guess the middle feet don't need them?

Now here's a question -- are these little pieces part of the rack? I swear I remember them being associated. But I don't see what purpose they'd serve. Problem is I only have five, not six.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine were 1/4x20 screws that look like these with a tapered shoulder. There are female threaded inserts mounted in my roof.

That's how my '88 rack is mounted. There are nutserts in the roof, btw. The '89-'91 Burbs seem to have all got a different style rack than the previous years.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So I think I'll do some threaded inserts for the four outside screws and then sheet metal screws for the remainder, sound ok?

I think you would be ok with sheet metal screws all the way around. It's not like you're going to be tying down a piano or anything like that. Twelve screws into the roof and it's not going anywhere.

I have four plastic gasket things, guess the middle feet don't need them?

I have an extra set of pads for the middle feet. PM your addy if you want 'em.

Now here's a question -- are these little pieces part of the rack? I swear I remember them being associated. But I don't see what purpose they'd serve. Problem is I only have five, not six.

Those look a lot like the mounting inserts for the four 64" stainless rails that mount directly to the roof which are used to keep cargo off of the paint.
Looks like you don't have the rails, but if you do there are 7 inserts per rail so you're missing 23. The ones you have are a little different than mine but if they measure 3/4" wide by 1.5" long that's what they are. My rails were all coming loose so I took 'em off when I had the truck painted and never put them back on.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info. Good stuff, especially that sheet metal screws should do the trick. No, I don't have those rails and I don't remember my parts rig having them at all. Hmmm. I'll do some research. And let me hint around for the middle feet pads before I have you send your extras. I might be able to find them. Thanks to all for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schultz76