HotRodPC Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nother cool tool !!! Dremel 395 Kit with Flex Shaft. Rarely use the flex shaft but it does come in handy for porting heads or taking out smog NOX bumps out of heads to increase flow. I've probably had this for 20 years or so too. It's broke right now but I know what's wrong with it and it's going to be $1.48 and $2.00 shipping to get the coupler from Dremel. The coupler that goes from the motor to the shaft got dried out and hardened, then splt. Also since ordering that part and and shipping is $2 anyway, going to have them add a set of brushes to the order for $5. Should be good as brand new when I'm done cleaning all the contacts, new coupler and new brushes. Don't need the brushes yet, but figured why the hell not since I"ll have it apart and it's 20+ years old. I think I've used this more for cutting out ingrown toe nails than anything. :rofl:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dremel395Type3 004.jpg
    Dremel395Type3 004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Dremel395Type3 003.jpg
    Dremel395Type3 003.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Dremel395Type3 002.jpg
    Dremel395Type3 002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 212

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Reminds me, need to get brushes for my Dremel...Won't work except at full speed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Reminds me, need to get brushes for my Dremel...Won't work except at full speed.

You sure that's not the switch? Normally when brushed go out on these, you still have variable speed, but the speed varies up and down even though you haven't touched the switch. Brushes are like $5 for a set from Dremel I think. I see them on ebay for $12 + shipping :flipthebird: You can get them direct from Dremel or another place I forget the name but can dig up, ToolTopia I think it is, for like $5. I think I'll order brushes too and 2 of these couplers.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool pics HR. Hey, just a tip I recently made myself aware of, next time at PAP grab a couple of those one way check valves off some vacuum lines. I got a 3 way on I threw into my vacuum tool kit, just like the one you got. I can put it in-line for instance to check an EGR valve, it will let you draw a really deep vacuum and be able to hold it and check for a slow leak. And on the third port I ran a short tube and used a finger to block it to hold vac, and you can release it to vent back out. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool pics HR. Hey, just a tip I recently made myself aware of, next time at PAP grab a couple of those one way check valves off some vacuum lines. I got a 3 way on I threw into my vacuum tool kit, just like the one you got. I can put it in-line for instance to check an EGR valve, it will let you draw a really deep vacuum and be able to hold it and check for a slow leak. And on the third port I ran a short tube and used a finger to block it to hold vac, and you can release it to vent back out. :)

That's a good idea too. I always grab **** like that when I see it at PAP. Stuff like Vac T's or Y's or 1 into 2's and 3's. I've got an old Craftsman 9 drawer toolchest I think it it, I always put stuff like that in it. Bolts, Nuts, T's, Fuses, Bulbs, Caps, Brass Fitting reducers and Adapters etc. It's not always about the cost, it's about having the **** on hand when you need it so you don't have to close up shop to make a trip to the auto parts store, and especially on a Sunday afternoon when the stores close early. I always keep plenty of fittings junk on hand. It pays off too. And I kick myself in the ass for spending money a sending unit now, I had about 4 of them in my box when today when I was looking for Pilot lights for my self installed idiiot lights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wish I knew which tool Retro had, I'd have ordered his brushes too. I placed my order from Dremel yesterday. Pissed me off I had to call them since it's a discontinued too. Mine is a Model 395 Type 3. All I needed was 1 coupler but suggest to replace some other part too when do replace the coupler. Being afraid they might quit stocking the parts since it's been discontinued for so long, I ordered extra stuff. I got a set of brushes too, for $4.XX, 3 couplers at $1.29 each, and 2 of those other highly recommended parts to change with the coupler for $1.00 each. All total for all 6 parts and spares for the future, with $4 shipping, my grand total was for $14.XX. It lasted over 20 years without a problem, so hopefully with these parts I get another 20 years out of it. I'm almost thinking I should have got 2 sets of brushes since they suggest they last 50-60 hours of tool use. I know I have well over 50-60 hours use on mine it's still running. So it probably needs brushes now and then I don't have a back up set.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Got the parts from Dremel today. The brushes were at about 50% so I didn't install new ones. I did install the new bushing and new coupler. It works like brand spankin new again !!! :waytogo: So I have a new set of brushes and 2 spare couplers and bushings for the next time it might take a dump. Guess I can't be to upset. It's over 20 years old and still work great. Had to spend a whole whopping $2.25 in parts to fix it this time and $4 shipping. But that included the other parts in the shipping too. I'll just put the parts in the Dremel box with the bits and next time I won't have order parts or wait on them.

You must be registered for see images

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I wanna take the Pap Wagon back to 13in tires. The added height is better for my back issues believe it or not. And the other 3 tires I repaired are holding air after a week and solid as a rock.

Not sure why I didn't think to check Tractor Supply earlier but I found this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tire-wheel-13-in-pneumatic-3552462

$14.99 for Wheel, Tire and assume a Tube. Can't imagine it's tubeless.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So while fixing the tools. I noticed my MityVac wasn't working either when I went to test diaghrams for the air distributor. Decided to tear it apart even though the kit to rebuild it is $38 on fleabay. Tore it apart and the aluminum internals were all corroded and a bunch of nasty gunk in it. Hadn't used in a few years. Tore into about 100 pieces and started cleaning parts. Used a wheel cylinder brake hone at low rpm to clean out the cylinder real good. Cleaned all the internals with Hoppes No 9 gun cleaning solvent and steel wool. Replaced 2 O rings from my handy dandy HF $4 O ring kit. Blew out all the other orfices. Coated all the internals with a light coat of gun oil, reassembeled it and BAMM !!! It's working and holding strong vacuum now and not even trying to leak down. Before it would go up to about 4 and fall to 0 as soon as you were off the pump, so not only would it not pump up, it would hold nothing. Who needs a $38 rebuild kit?? NOT ME !!! Not yet anyway, maybe someday. This too is over 20 years old. It's a bit cleaner now than it was in the previous pics on the last page. :waytogo:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MityVac 005.jpg
    MityVac 005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 221
  • MityVac 003.jpg
    MityVac 003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 211
  • MityVac 006.jpg
    MityVac 006.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 219

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think I wanna take the Pap Wagon back to 13in tires. The added height is better for my back issues believe it or not. And the other 3 tires I repaired are holding air after a week and solid as a rock.

Not sure why I didn't think to check Tractor Supply earlier but I found this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tire-wheel-13-in-pneumatic-3552462

$14.99 for Wheel, Tire and assume a Tube. Can't imagine it's tubeless.

DEW IT. Good homework dude. :waytogo:

So while fixing the tools. I noticed my MityVac wasn't working either when I went to test diaghrams for the air distributor. Decided to tear it apart even though the kit to rebuild it is $38 on fleabay. Tore it apart and the aluminum internals were all corroded and a bunch of nasty gunk in it. Hadn't used in a few years. Tore into about 100 pieces and started cleaning parts. Used a wheel cylinder brake hone at low rpm to clean out the cylinder real good. Cleaned all the internals with Hoppes No 9 gun cleaning solvent and steel wool. Replaced 2 O rings from my handy dandy HF $4 O ring kit. Blew out all the other orfices. Coated all the internals with a light coat of gun oil, reassembeled it and BAMM !!! It's working and holding strong vacuum now and not even trying to leak down. Before it would go up to about 4 and fall to 0 as soon as you were off the pump, so not only would it not pump up, it would hold nothing. Who needs a $38 rebuild kit?? NOT ME !!! Not yet anyway, maybe someday. This too is over 20 years old. It's a bit cleaner now than it was in the previous pics on the last page. :waytogo:

Another great job, I never even thought they could get corroded like that, something for us that have them to keep in mind. :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well this worked out alright. Went to Tractor Supply. Didn't find the 13xx5x6 wheel I was wanting for $14.99. Had to exchange some stuff at HF anyway. Ran over there, they had the 13x4x6 wheel on sale for $12.99. Thought, it's not going to match the other wheels, and going to be 1 inch skinnier but fugg it as long as the height is the same so be it. Got to looking at Tubes, DOH !!! The only 13 inch tubes they have are 13x5x6. That's the exact fuggin tube I needed that didn't come up on their web site. It was $6.99 on sale for $5.99, so I got 2 and now have a spare and put all the OE 13 inch wheel back on the wagon. And this tube seems much thicker than the tubes I patched, so maybe it's even a bit better and will hold up better. :waytogo:

Came home plugged in this part # on the HF website to find out why I didn't find it. Deeta Dee, it comes up as a 6in tube. Yeah, it's a 6in opening, but it's 13in tall. The specs are all right, but they have it listed as a 6in tube. Idiots. Look at all the fuggin grief they caused me. :idiot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• MityVac 013.jpg
    MityVac 013.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 209

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well this worked out alright. Went to Tractor Supply. Didn't find the 13xx5x6 wheel I was wanting for $14.99. Had to exchange some stuff at HF anyway. Ran over there, they had the 13x4x6 wheel on sale for $12.99. Thought, it's not going to match the other wheels, and going to be 1 inch skinnier but fugg it as long as the height is the same so be it. Got to looking at Tubes, DOH !!! The only 13 inch tubes they have are 13x5x6. That's the exact fuggin tube I needed that didn't come up on their web site. It was $6.99 on sale for $5.99, so I got 2 and now have a spare and put all the OE 13 inch wheel back on the wagon. And this tube seems much thicker than the tubes I patched, so maybe it's even a bit better and will hold up better. :waytogo:

Came home plugged in this part # on the HF website to find out why I didn't find it. Deeta Dee, it comes up as a 6in tube. Yeah, it's a 6in opening, but it's 13in tall. The specs are all right, but they have it listed as a 6in tube. Idiots. Look at all the fuggin grief they caused me. :idiot:

attachment.php

:High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's a tool I bought a few years ago and I"m pretty sure it was like $3.99 on one those Super Coupons. Never Used it until working on this Temp Gauge issue and trying to figure out a way to get the Anti Freeze out of the motor without spilling it all over so I could take the Sender out of the head. Then I remembered having this pump still in it's unopened retail package. Stuck the suction hose all the way to the bottom of the radiator thru the radiator cap. It worked like a charm in about 3-4 minutes of hand pumping. I've gotten my money's worth out of it in the first use for the cost of Antifreeze I didn't spill and let run down the driveway.

Multi-Use Transfer Pump Pittsburgh Automotive - item#66418
attachment.php

I just went to HF website to see the reviews on the pump. Seems all the reviewers who used it for Oil, Trans Fluid and Antifreeze were happy with it as I was. All the people who used it for gasoline, said it it's a 1 time use pump if you put it in gasoline. So don't use it for transfer of gasoline it will dry it out and the next you go to use it won't work. I have a feeling if immediately after using it for gas, you pumped some old motor oil thru it before you put it away, I'd imagine it might just work again next time you need it, but best to avoid it for gasoline unless you plan on a 1 time use.

Attachments

• TransferPump.jpg
    TransferPump.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 523

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year