High volume oil pump and cam slap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 C20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
scuddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 sb
I have replaced the old, dead oil pump with a Melling high volume oil pump. Yes, I now know that the 350 sbc doesn't really like/need a high volume oil pump.
I have also replaced the old cam and double checked the install 4 times now but I'm still hearing the cam moving forwards and backwards. it's a flat tappet cam and I didn't replace the cam bearings because the engine had 20k before I replaced the cam.

My theory is that there's too much oil and the cam is being pushed forward then the tappets and distributor gear push it backwards.

I really like this theory because the solution is inexpensive and pretty easy to accomplish. plus I've got all the tools for that job and I don't have a cam bearing tool.

My question is this: does anyone know if the oil pressure/volume can move the cam shaft around and make the clacking noise?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64