HF pressure pot sandblaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Spent a few days working with the Harbor Freight sandblaster and thought I'd review it since rust is a common issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-95014.html

I bought the largest model (95014) they have because it comes with a deadman's handle to control media flow. The smaller ones come with a simple ball valve and they didn't get good reviews.

So here's what I got...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sale price was $139.99 and I used a 20% coupon so I got it for around $110.00 plus tax.

They carry a few types of blast media at HF but it's cheaper to go to Lowes and buy their 50 lb. bags of play sand. After laying the sand out on a sheet of plastic to dry, you need to filter it through some window screen material to remove the larger bits that would clog the blasting tip.

I set up a work area to catch and reuse the sand. I got three bags which was enough to do a table and six chairs, and the pot is full for the next job. The fan blows the ultra fine dust away, but it's very important to wear proper breathing gear under the supplied blasting hood. Don't trust the cheapy particle masks, get a real respirator. Breathing the dust for extended periods can cause silicosis (think lung cancer) and there is no cure for it.

This is the deadman handle...note the metal plate sandwiched between the tip and the rubber backing pad.

and the replaceable ceramic tips encased by rubber. I found that using a coarse file to bevel the rubber tips slightly helped the flat plate sit more square and control air loss when the handle was released.

My compressor is a 60 gallon, 5 horse, two-stage unit and had no trouble keeping up with the demand but a smaller compressor will take more time to do the work.

Recommended pressure at the blaster is 65-125 psi. I set my compressor to 130 psi to compensate for the pressure drop through 100 ft. of air line. After the pot is filled and pressurized, I then opened the trigger on the deadman handle so just air was flowing. Then I slowly opened the media control valve on the bottom of the pot. If you open the media valve first, the feed hose will clog. The amount the media valve is opened is critical, not enough and it doesn't remove paint/rust fast enough. Too much and you waste sand and slow down the blasting process from lack of air at the tip. The cleaning area is about the size of a dime, so be prepared for some long days if you're doing a large project like this one.

before and after...

After a few hours of use the metal plate/rubber backing piece that shuts off the media flow gets worn and needs to be replaced. You can tell because it keeps hissing air even with the hande released. Replacements are available through HF for $1.50 but I found that removing the metal plate from the rubber backing and turning it around, using two-sided tape to reattach, you get extended use from each one.

Three phases of use...

Overall I give this blaster a good review. If you fail to use dry sand or don't control the flow of material well you'll be unhappy, but for rust removal on items too big to fit in a traditional blast cabinet I think this is a great tool to have around.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Good review, I have a cheap CH syphon feed-type blaster handle with a section of heater hose on it, but it doesn't have the rubber stopper issues you describe. However you have to be right on top of a 5-gallon bucket of sand or carry it around with you. Another thing to note is I saw some Black Beauty blasting sand at Tractor Supply Co. if you want to avoid having to screen the Lowe's play sand.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Nice, TSC has the black diamond blasting sand for $8-9 per bag. I think its the fine coarse grade though.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have the same blaster
i used it to blast the underside of my vega it worked good

i hated the dead man i broke it off and just used the air shut off to control the blaster. it took about 10 hours total to blast the underside and engine bay of the car. here is a picture i done some welsing before i painted it.

Attachments

• picture_030_146.jpg
    picture_030_146.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 235

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes