Help with troubleshooting C20 350 that dies after short drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It needs said that not only will HEI ignition systems fry resulting from an E.M.P. , car batteries will also become rendered useless.
The solution is a standby points distributor AND a "dry charge" battery or whatever they're called. One that you have to add the acid to, but those have limited recharge capabilities...so it's a moot point anyways.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It needs said that not only will HEI ignition systems fry resulting from an E.M.P. , car batteries will also become rendered useless.
The solution is a standby points distributor AND a "dry charge" battery or whatever they're called. One that you have to add the acid to, but those have limited recharge capabilities...so it's a moot point anyways.
Magneto and a hand crank

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wouldn't an EMP damage a coil or a capacitor?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Wouldn't an EMP damage a coil or a capacitor?

Not likely. Mostly all semiconductor devices.

Even unused that condenser is very old and they all break down after time. Buy a new one.

Last edited:

vadriller

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay everyone, it was dry here this morning and I got a chance to check out the truck with a fresh outlook.

I kept thinking fuel, because it was acting like it ran out of gas and had spark after it died.

I disconnected the rubber line into the fuel pump and dropped a line into a one gallon can under the truck. It ran fine and sucked almost a quart down in 15 minutes of idling and revving the engine.

I hooked that line back up and disconnected the rubber line where the tank goes to the hard line under the cab. I dropped a hose from the hard line into the gallon tank and it ran for another 15 minutes. Now I thought there was something wrong with my new sender in the new tank.

In preparation to drop the tank, I hooked up my mityvac fluid evacuator to the hose coming from the sender in the tank and it was not bringing out any fuel. I thought there was about 15 gallons in the tank and confirmed there was some by using the air hose to blow 5psi backward into the tank and hearing bubbling. While the evacuator was pulling vacuum, I reached over the top of the tank and felt the hose looking for leaks there. I FOUND A KINK!! Once I straitened it out, it quickly sucked 2 gallons into the evacuator

The hose that connects the fuel sender to the hard line on the frame rail had a kink that would completely collapse under vacuum. I shortened the hose and re secured it to the clamp on top of the frame and all is well.

I ran a quarter of a tank through it with no problems. (Man I forgot how much fun it was to open up the four barrel in second gear)

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. They all helped. Everything was useful but roundhouse gets the credit for the collapsing rubber lines.

Now...if I keep my points, I am good to go after the EMP? :)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That’s cool:waytogo:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay everyone, it was dry here this morning and I got a chance to check out the truck with a fresh outlook.

I kept thinking fuel, because it was acting like it ran out of gas and had spark after it died.

I disconnected the rubber line into the fuel pump and dropped a line into a one gallon can under the truck. It ran fine and sucked almost a quart down in 15 minutes of idling and revving the engine.

I hooked that line back up and disconnected the rubber line where the tank goes to the hard line under the cab. I dropped a hose from the hard line into the gallon tank and it ran for another 15 minutes. Now I thought there was something wrong with my new sender in the new tank.

In preparation to drop the tank, I hooked up my mityvac fluid evacuator to the hose coming from the sender in the tank and it was not bringing out any fuel. I thought there was about 15 gallons in the tank and confirmed there was some by using the air hose to blow 5psi backward into the tank and hearing bubbling. While the evacuator was pulling vacuum, I reached over the top of the tank and felt the hose looking for leaks there. I FOUND A KINK!! Once I straitened it out, it quickly sucked 2 gallons into the evacuator

The hose that connects the fuel sender to the hard line on the frame rail had a kink that would completely collapse under vacuum. I shortened the hose and re secured it to the clamp on top of the frame and all is well.

I ran a quarter of a tank through it with no problems. (Man I forgot how much fun it was to open up the four barrel in second gear)

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. They all helped. Everything was useful but roundhouse gets the credit for the collapsing rubber lines.

Now...if I keep my points, I am good to go after the EMP? :)

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. After the EMP, you may have a few things to iron out, but you’ll be better off than everyone else for sure.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Meh. Easy EMP solution....

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Nine pounds is a bit much for a mechanical fuel pump. That may not be the problem itself, but it’s worth noting that five is more ideal. I think someone on here did a regulator because their fuel pumps kept overdoing it. Was that you @spanky55amg? He should be able to tell you his symptoms, and see if there’s any similarity. This is strange, though.

9 lbs is twice as much as it should be .I never did get the regulator to work out. Go. And. Figure .

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8

vadriller

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I still have dual points on my Honda CB750s. 4 cylinders, 4 carbs, two sets of points. Dial them all in once a year and they are screamers.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
emp proof transportation.