Help with a 396 build in a work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just put a set of flat top pistons and a towing cam in. Those peanut port heads will do the trick.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I've always been a fan of the 396, so I say build it! lol (with the right parts) And IMO the little 396 can be quite a runner from what I've seen around these parts over the years. If you build it right, it doesn't matter- seen too many people throw too big a cam or heads, or the wrong set of heads or pistons, etc. in something wanting it to perform a certain way and it's a dog.. If you match the parts, you'd be surprised at how well it'll run..

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
found the video with the cam comparisons
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, great info on the cam difference. Wish I could find a similar video on BBC

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I always wondered about building a 396 with peanut heads. It's down on cubes compared to a 454 so I think your rpm range would be just fine. And the smaller ports should give better velocity so better low torque. The only downside to me would be finding pistons to get your compression up. If you already have the parts I think a 396 combo would be fun, but if you're starting from scratch a 454 is definitely the way to go.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Wow, great info on the cam difference. Wish I could find a similar video on BBC

I thought there was one just cant find it, if i remember correctly it was a high torque vs high hp comparison.

I always wondered about building a 396 with peanut heads. It's down on cubes compared to a 454 so I think your rpm range would be just fine. And the smaller ports should give better velocity so better low torque. The only downside to me would be finding pistons to get your compression up. If you already have the parts I think a 396 combo would be fun, but if you're starting from scratch a 454 is definitely the way to go.

I would use the peanut port head as they have been shown great for this kind of application and for cam think of it as a 406.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krytza9911