Help stop theft 87 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Get an alarm installed, like a Viper. OR the poor man's version, just wire up the alarm "receiver" with a blinking LED on the windshield.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The thing I like about that steering column lock is that it's huge and bold......the hope being that the POS who's about to steal your rig will see it before bashing out a window or doing other damage, and just move on to a more opportune target.

IMO, just hiding an interrupt of some sort, somewhere, still "allows" the POS who's intent on taking your rig, to break in, destroy the ignition lock so it can be twisted, and only then would he find out the truck won't start. So yes, you keep your truck, but there's a bunch of damage to fix. My hope is that the column lock avoids all this.

I totally agree. Even given those too can be defeated the visual is a great deterrent. If you still wish to have a circuit interrupter it is very easy to do as well.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What do you guys think about those brake pedal locks? They seem more like a practical deterrent as opposed to just the steering column lock.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Get on youtube and you can spend hours watching guys with instructional videos on how to pick every single type of lock that's ever been produced.

All you're doing with any of this stuff is either slowing a thief down, or (hopefully) helping him make up his mind that the time investment isn't worth it, and he could get caught, so it's too risky.

Look at what modern manufactures have done...chipped keys, because they couldn't create a lock system that was bulletproof/pick proof.

The brake locks and steering wheel lock bars are a joke, and easily cut. Not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Get on youtube and you can spend hours watching guys with instructional videos on how to pick every single type of lock that's ever been produced.

All you're doing with any of this stuff is either slowing a thief down, or (hopefully) helping him make up his mind that the time investment isn't worth it, and he could get caught, so it's too risky.

Look at what modern manufactures have done...chipped keys, because they couldn't create a lock system that was bulletproof/pick proof.

The break locks and steering wheel lock bars are a joke, and easy cut. Not worth it IMO.

Yeah, basically there needs to be somthing that keeps the truck from moving short of the thief towing it. That and insurance that will cover the damage that is incurred durring the attempt.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
If you are really serious, you could hide an old smartphone under the dash. It could be hardwired in and the locator app turned on. They may steal but keeping it is a different story. Of course you would have to add another line to your existing plan but it would be a good way of keeping track of your ride. Just a thought.....

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
1) Not trying to start anything here, but i'm not sure what black has to do with anything............?

2) Now for the OP, theGolem, if you want to get started on killswitches, but are nervous, what i used to do (and should probably keep doing) is i would disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable whenever parked and then padlock the hood so that the only way to open the hood would be to undo the padlock----couldn't just open it with the hood release inside the cab.

It's a bit of a hassle, but that extra minute could save a lot of heartache.

3) Another thing i'm seeing as i drive thru some of the neighborhoods on my way to work is that people are using boots on their cars.

i don't have time to get into it whole-hog right now, but this is a very interesting topic and one that i'm very concerned about. i also like the on-board extra cellphone idea.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
How did I say "black" had anything to do with it......other than that's who stole it, and that's who's residence all of our belongings and most of the Blazer parts were found? Just stating the facts.

There all sorts of ways to keep the vehicle from being taking, but IMO, keeping it from being an opportune target is about 90% of the equation.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i guess i am wondering why blacks was relevant to the discussion is what i'm trying to say.

If they were white would you put that in there?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Well, I guess you have to have a $10k rig taken from you, with all of your belongings, and other family members belongings, and then have it found in the cliche' of f-ing Compton and at the cliche' of a drug house full of Compton's finest local representatives, and then maybe you'll describe what happened how ever you want.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
How did I say "black" had anything to do with it......other than that's who stole it, and that's who's residence all of our belongings and most of the Blazer parts were found? Just stating the facts.

There all sorts of ways to keep the vehicle from being taking, but IMO, keeping it from being an opportune target is about 90% of the equation.

I agree that keeping it from being an easy target is the biggest part of the equation, because; if they REALLY want it, they can take it (or any car for that matter). I like the steering column idea, plus the killswitch, and the tracking suggestion. Make 'em work for it

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
i guess i am wondering why blacks was relevant to the discussion is what i'm trying to say.

If they were white would you put that in there?

If he would have said the guy was heavy set would you be offended? Using a descriptive in retelling a story isn't offensive. Sheesh...can't even get out of bed without offending people these days. Glad we don't have any real issues to worry about in the world.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So.......About theft prevention......by hoodlums of any genetic makeup, creed or orientation.

I like the visual of a column or wheel lock with the added safety of a circuit interrupter. Preferably one that sounds the horn when an attempt is made to start the vehicle. Oh and while we are on that subject. I think it would be better to have the horn come on and remain on solid rather than beep like a car alarm. why? well, I would have to admit that the first thing I think when I hear that sound is that someone pushed the wrong button on their fob but a horn on and blaring away gets attention.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
My problem with the wheel lock alone is that cutting the wheel isn't particularly difficult on these since they're so thin. Once it's cut, 0 prevention.

Agreed on the horn & solid sound, though.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
If he would have said the guy was heavy set would you be offended? Using a descriptive in retelling a story isn't offensive. Sheesh...can't even get out of bed without offending people these days. Glad we don't have any real issues to worry about in the world.

My question was why is black or heavy set relevant to a truck getting stolen? What if the thief was bald, had tatoos, had a mustache etc.?

What about blood type A, B, C etc. What about left-handedness vs. right handedness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes