HELP NO START!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
So I just swapped my old goodwrench 350 crate motor for a motor I freshly rebuild I just put it in this weekend and I can’t get it started. I have good spark, fuel and around 120 psi of compression on every single cylinder. I know theirs fuel getting into the cylinders because every plug I pulled was wet please someone help i have a feeling it’s the dumbest little thing I’m missing I have a picture of the motor just In case anyone spots anything off

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
First, it won't care for that decent sized vacuum leak on the carb's six o'clock. I'd make sure that was the only one. Have you revised your firing order and the way your wires are plugged in?

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check your firing order and that the distributor is not off

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is it firing off or spitting and sputtering or anything? Or is it just cranking and not giving you anything?

There’s something not right if you have fuel and spark. The only other piece to the puzzle is air and you obviously have that.

So like the others said, check firing order and plug wires and that the distributor is set at top dead cylinder on #1 on the compression stroke.

Make sure the choke is working right, and try holding the throttle wide open while cranking, if the plugs are wet it’s definitly getting flooded out.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I watched the piston move up and I felt the puff of air so I know that it is at tdc of the compression stroke and I also set the distributor correctly making sure it’s facing cylinder 1 and that the vacuum advance is facing cylinder 6

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
It was sputtering and stuff until I messed with the timing a little more then it backfired and started a fire out the headers

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Sounds like it’s getting flooded out. What’s the condition of your carb? Maybe the float is stuck? Are you pumping the throttle a bunch?

Also it’s not very happy with the timing it has, so keep messing with it to see if you can actually get it to run then you can check your timing and see where it’s at and go from there

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
First check your oil. If there's a bunch of gas in it dont try to fire it up, especially if the cam needs broke in. Change the oil out if needed. If you do have to change the oil you'll have to pull the top off your carb and figure out why it's flooding, bad float height, dirt in the needle and seat, etc.

Once that's sorted, pull the driver side valve cover and slowly bump the starter till you see #1 exhaust valve close, then put your valve cover back on. You can also pull #1 plug, put your finger over the hole and have someone bump the starter till you feel compression blowing out the plug hole. Next turn the engine over by hand the last little bit to line the timing mark on the balancer with whatever degree your cam calls for, could be anywhere from 8-12 degrees BTDC.

Then pull #1 plug wire from the distributor and put a continuity tester on the cap #1 plug and put the other end of the tester on the rotor button (you'll have to pull the coil). Turn the distributor till you get signal, then tighten it down. Put everything back where it belongs (plug wire, coil) and it should fire right up. Might need a little tuning but leave your distributor bolt loose enough you can turn the distributor a little. If you dont get signal pull off the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap. If not it may be 180 out. I use this method every time and every time it fires right up, as long as everything else is right.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
And yeah you need a PCV valve on that large center port on the carb.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok I’ll set the motor to tdc and plug up that vacuum line then I’ll let you guys know what happens

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Update I plugged that vacuum leak and I picked myself up a timing light then I set the motor at true TDC using the marks and turning it over by hand then I shot a little starting fluid down the carb and after a quick backfire it came alive thanks for the help guys!!!!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Update I plugged that vacuum leak and I picked myself up a timing light then I set the motor at true TDC using the marks and turning it over by hand then I shot a little starting fluid down the carb and after a quick backfire it came alive thanks for the help guys!!!!

Glad you got it running :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53