HELP! How do I make sense of which bolts to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81GMCSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
I made the mistake of pulling a bunch of parts out of my engine compartment so I could do some research on what they were so I could buy new ones. Now that I have done so I realized that I should have kept track of which bolts were used to attach each part.

I am now trying to put things back together with new parts and don't know which bolts to use. I am afraid of using the wrong one and striping the threads.

The parts that I am reattaching:
Thermostat housing, power steering pump, fuel pump, alternator, water pump, decel valve,

If anyone could tell me how to look up which bolts I should be using where that would b e huge help.

Thank you!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Try threading the bolts into the locations by hand. It is very difficult to strip a thread by hand and most bolt sizes either thread in or don't.

You can tell about how long a bolt to use by using a small rod to measure the depth of the threaded hole and then measure the thickness of the part(s) you are bolting on. Depth of threaded hole + part thickness will tell you max bolt length before the bolt will bottom out.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the fuel pump is a 3/8 bolt with a 7/16 head, it's odd. the thermostat are 5/16 bolts and should be the only 5/16 out of the ones you mentioned except for the alternator tension bolt it might be 5/16 or metric but it's much to short for the thermostat plus you only have one. the wp are 3/8, I believe 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 you should have 4 of these. the decell valve should bolt to the carb with beveled head flat or Philips screws. the rest are for the ps pump. hope this helps. highdesertranger

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found when working on the truck and putting crap back on most of the time a 7/16, 9/16 and a 5/8 socket was all that I needed lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MIDWESTCUSTOMS