Heater Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Time to start taking **** apart buddy....if the truck is running and you move the controls around do you hear any kind of action under the dash??? You should be able to hear a door for the Max a/c move open and closed....

Damn I knew I was going to have to start pulling **** apart. No I don't here anything, I can move the lever back and forth, and it makes no different sound.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn I knew I was going to have to start pulling **** apart. No I don't here anything, I can move the lever back and forth, and it makes no different sound.
Ya, you should hear the ac door between max and norm, sounds like no vacuum at all then. Try and trace the supply line from the intake manifold going through the firewall into the cab. Usually after it comes into the cab under the dash sometimes there is a one way check valve in the hose somewhere. You can pull it apart ther to check for vacuum and check if that valve is stuck....looks like a little in-line pancake fuel filter, like 1" diameter.....

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Bring it to me Mr. Clean. I'll fix it. I have nothing better to do right now. :waytogo:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I have no vacuum from the manifold to the canister, I'll fix that tomorrow, and go from there.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
It was the no vacuum thing. Had to get the vacuum line correct on the fire wall, but all is good now. Thanks everyone for their in put.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Speaking of which, its a nice warm 45 degree out right now, and I need to go install a new thermostat in my truck. I use failsafe thermostats, and mine is stuck open I beleive. I can't even get my truck over 100 degrees at 80mph. I finally put a piece of cardboard over the grill to have some heat. It worked, but time for a new 180 Tstat. Be back shortly !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It was the no vacuum thing. Had to get the vacuum line correct on the fire wall, but all is good now. Thanks everyone for their in put.
:High 5:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Speaking of which, its a nice warm 45 degree out right now, and I need to go install a new thermostat in my truck. I use failsafe thermostats, and mine is stuck open I beleive. I can't even get my truck over 100 degrees at 80mph. I finally put a piece of cardboard over the grill to have some heat. It worked, but time for a new 180 Tstat. Be back shortly !!!
:popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not going to jack your thread here Clean, but just to say, I did fix my heater now. Took all of 10 minutes to swap Tstats. Sure enough the failsafe Tstat was stuck wide open. I replaced it with Mr Gasket Balanced Tstat and I do beleive they are also failsafe. $8.99 at Auto Zone.

attachment.php

BTW, this is the package to the new Tstat, and you can clearly see the old one that is stuck wide open. Truck is blowing air now within about a mile to a mile and a half.

Attachments

• tstat 002.jpg
    tstat 002.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm not going to jack your thread here Clean, but just to say, I did fix my heater now. Took all of 10 minutes to swap Tstats. Sure enough the failsafe Tstat was stuck wide open. I replaced it with Mr Gasket Balanced Tstat and I do beleive they are also failsafe. $8.99 at Auto Zone.
:High 5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkreetKilla