Headliners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So to go along with my carpet thread, I’m thinking about putting a headliner in as well. My painted roof gets too hot to touch in the summer time. How are headliners held up in these trucks? Are they screwed in, or held in by trim? How is the a pillar trim held in?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
So to go along with my carpet thread, I’m thinking about putting a headliner in as well. My painted roof gets too hot to touch in the summer time. How are headliners held up in these trucks? Are they screwed in, or held in by trim? How is the a pillar trim held in?

held in by trim and all the trim is screwed in

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
A truck with a factory headliner will have trim that is screwed around all the edges, and the sun visors and cab light will also hold it in place.

I just installed an LMC truck replacement for my factory headliner, and it included directions for a truck without a factory headliner. The directions showed pictures of some type of Velcro adhesive strips to use in place of the factory trim, but my kit did not need those items so I didn't really read the directions. I'd recommend finding a donor truck and pulling off all the factory trim for a headliner. Its a PIA to get it up there and get all the screws aligned, but it really holds in place well once you get it installed.

The toughest part of my installation was the three screws for each sun visor. The factory headliner was made of fiberboard, so it was easy to push through and get the screws to work even if it wasn't perfectly aligned. The new headliner has a rigid plastic backing and I had to get the three screws lined up with the corners of the triangular cutout in the new headliner, and at the same time get them to thread into the truck. If I screwed the back trim down first to hold it up I couldn't move it around enough to get the screws lined up at the front. I had to have my wife hold up the back of the headliner so I could still jockey it around and get the front screws to line up, and then install the side and back trim.

Bruce

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
A truck with a factory headliner will have trim that is screwed around all the edges, and the sun visors and cab light will also hold it in place.

I just installed an LMC truck replacement for my factory headliner, and it included directions for a truck without a factory headliner. The directions showed pictures of some type of Velcro adhesive strips to use in place of the factory trim, but my kit did not need those items so I didn't really read the directions. I'd recommend finding a donor truck and pulling off all the factory trim for a headliner. Its a PIA to get it up there and get all the screws aligned, but it really holds in place well once you get it installed.

The toughest part of my installation was the three screws for each sun visor. The factory headliner was made of fiberboard, so it was easy to push through and get the screws to work even if it wasn't perfectly aligned. The new headliner has a rigid plastic backing and I had to get the three screws lined up with the corners of the triangular cutout in the new headliner, and at the same time get them to thread into the truck. If I screwed the back trim down first to hold it up I couldn't move it around enough to get the screws lined up at the front. I had to have my wife hold up the back of the headliner so I could still jockey it around and get the front screws to line up, and then install the side and back trim.

Bruce
Thanks. I’ve never really been in one of these trucks with a headliner, so I’ve never really seen how it attaches. I think this will make a difference in overall comfort level of the cab.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Thanks. I’ve never really been in one of these trucks with a headliner, so I’ve never really seen how it attaches. I think this will make a difference in overall comfort level of the cab.

My '79 did not have a headliner. At the time, there were no reproduction pieces so I found everything on eBay and painted them to match. You have to drill the holes, but that is pretty easy. When you start that process, install the 4 corner pieces first, then the longitudinal pieces. When I did mine, I bought the headliner with the plastic backing. It's a lot easier to install than the old fiberglass ones.

On my '85 I installed Boom Mat on the roof to help kill sound and some heat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sound deadening is a good idear.
I'm still a ways off from laying new carpet in, but Craig or whomever, how much noticeable difference does putting sound mat in make with road noise. Heat, cold and haring the Flowmaster 40s aren't an issue for me, but noticeable improvement on road noise?
Truck will still be wearing 35" ATs or MTs and will automatically be much quieter with all new window and wing window gaskets. Worth it?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Sound deadening is a good idear.
I'm still a ways off from laying new carpet in, but Craig or whomever, how much noticeable difference does putting sound mat in make with road noise. Heat, cold and haring the Flowmaster 40s aren't an issue for me, but noticeable improvement on road noise?
Truck will still be wearing 35" ATs or MTs and will automatically be much quieter with all new window and wing window gaskets. Worth it?

In 4 years of owning the truck I've yet to install the interior except the seat and door panels. I installed Boom Mat on the roof, rear cab wall and floor. It definitely kills a lot of road noise. Hopefully I will paint the truck this year. When I do, I will finish with the foil backed jute over the Boom mat, except for the roof. After paint, I will also add more mat to the doors.

I can say having the mat down, I have no problem hearing the stereo or phone calls through the blue tooth. I have a full exhaust with Super 40's. Last summer it got up to 100* up here and doing some parking lot idling with the A/C on, I could feel some heat coming through the floors, but less than just metal floors. Once the jute and carpet are there, this will go away.

For $200-300 you can do the whole cab. I recommend it.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Some trim models had headliners, some did not. Got my headliner at Rock Auto and saved a bunch over the others. If your upper trim encircles the cab it should work.

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My '79 did not have a headliner. At the time, there were no reproduction pieces so I found everything on eBay and painted them to match. You have to drill the holes, but that is pretty easy. When you start that process, install the 4 corner pieces first, then the longitudinal pieces. When I did mine, I bought the headliner with the plastic backing. It's a lot easier to install than the old fiberglass ones.

On my '85 I installed Boom Mat on the roof to help kill sound and some heat.

You must be registered for see images attach
This made a HUGE difference in my suburban as well. Especially here in AZ!

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
FWIW ---> if the material is screwed up yet the cardboard is still pretty good, you can replace the headliner fabric very easily with a few razor blades, some 3M BLUE contact cement spray and foam backed fabric that you can buy in a lot of fabric shops in metro areas.

In the sticks - well, I cannot find it in most of Montana, so I just have it shipped from SoCal.

The interior roofline is extremely simple on these trucks (C/K5-10, etc.). Even a caveman can do them.

SierraClassique

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Late to the party on this thread, but this thread was very helpful during my efforts to quiet and cool the Jimmy roof, so thank you [several years later].

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77