Headlights only on while engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Hi fellow Square Body people,
I was wondering if any of you have wired your trucks so that the headlights will only light while the engine is running (and the battery is therefore charging)?
Was thinking this might be a good way to never forget to turn the lights off if for whatever reason they had to be turned on in the daytime.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Be easy to do with a basic relay that coil is powered by accessory power or switched power with the main power lead to headlight switch through the contacts.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Daytime running lights schematic that I drew up. I haven't done it yet...need to get off my ass lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
HI Gang,
Hello again, just a quick update.
So I wired the trigger terminal of a 30amp relay to the choke wire, thinking that would do the trick and only energize the relay while the engine was running.
Well, it seems that the choke circuit on my truck is hot whenever the Ign. is on.
I always thought that the choke wire was only supposed to be hot if the oilpressure switch had pressure, meaning that the engine was running, thinking that the previous owner may have bypassed the oil-pressure switch and wired the choke to an Ign.-Hot circuit, oh well, at least the power to the lights is killed anytime the Ignition is off.
As an aside, I re-wired the headlights with 10 gauge direct from the battery positive and then through the relay and man what a difference in light output. I never realized just how much voltage drop there was going through the stock OEM wiring.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Relay harness is the way to go...brighter lights and less load on the old wiring. I bought the relay harness form classicparts to save time.

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Relay harness is the way to go...brighter lights and less load on the old wiring. I bought the relay harness form classicparts to save time.

2x's I just looked at their harness, for $30.00, by the time you round up the plugs, ends, etc. That's the way to go!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm