Headlight Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have an 1984 K20 that we have been rebuilding. My son has been driving it and has asked if we can upgrade the headlights. It currently has Sealed beams 2B1-Halogen lights in it. Are there any upgrades to help make it brighter while driving at night?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A relay kit will help you-basically raises supply voltage to the lights resulting in higher output. PM me if you want details or have questions about them!

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
A relay kit will help you-basically raises supply voltage to the lights resulting in higher output. PM me if you want details or have questions about them!

Do this. Im going to get gmachinz wiring when Im ready. Then find a sealed beam conversion. I would find one that uses 9006 bulbs. There is a post on this forum about very slightly modifying the socket to make 9012 bulbs fit. This makes you DOT legal. I have 9012 bi-halogen lights in my 2014 Durango and they are bright enough that I havent modded the lighting on it. On of the members on here is running that set up and says its bright. But if you wanted to, after the wiring and then the seal beam conversion, you could run HID lights. Its not DOT legal and could get you tickets.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
I prefer my stock yellow lights to these new blinding lights. I genuinely can't see when is coming towards me with theres on.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I prefer my stock yellow lights to these new blinding lights. I genuinely can't see when is coming towards me with theres on.
I agree with that! I'd absolutely do the relay kit with the sealed beams. Should be a considerable difference.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, if I was looking to save money, I'd make it or buy a low end harness. If I wanted something that was legit and higher end, I'd go with a gmachinz unit. Plus, friendly commerce on the forum is mutually symbiotic.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The relay solution is always a good way to go, especially with old electrical connectors and headlight switch.

Also, depending on how old the headlamps are, even a new set of Sylvania halogens will make a difference. That's what I experienced when I replaced one bad headlamp, and noticed it was noticeably brighter than the remaining one. So I bought a second new one. Problem solved

However, your best bet is a set of Hella conversion headlamps. They have much better reflectors and lenses, and if the standard 55/60 bulbs aren't bright enough you can replace them with higher wattage bulbs, assuming you're using relays. Stay away from the eBay Chinese crap blue headlamps, or anything that's priced too low to be true.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/sealed-beam-conversion-headlamps/

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a huge difference in light output once you bypass the factory headlight switch and use high quality relays to re-route power.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
9012 bulb in 9006 conversion housing with relay kit. I have aimed them lower after the picture, as they were still a bit high

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Adding a headlight relay kit & Using H4 conversion housings is a great way to improve the headlights while keeping the cost relatively low.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
9012 modification post here:
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/good-headlights.19514/#post-361518

I have a set of LMC clear sealed beam conversions with a relay kit and 9006 bulbs and the light output is great. I had ordered a set of Hella conversion bulbs for my old Suburban but never used them. Apparently they are becoming scarce but it seems like the guy I bought them from on eBay still has a bunch. If you go the Hella route just note they use H4 bulbs so all of this 9006/9012 talk becomes useless.

Either way you go, as long as you use a relay you will be providing correct voltage to your headlights and have better output.

h3adbang3r14

Reaction score
First Name
markus
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
sbc 400 from 78 k30
i have an h4 conversation kit plus relays since i plow with my square im running 4 relays two control truck lights and other two are on a separate switch that activates plow lights and cuts truck lights

1980Spartan

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Aren't there LED alternatives that use the stock plugs that are plug and play? I'm not disagreeing about the quality of the relay kits, actually seems like a cool set up. I like the modernization of components in these older vehicles. I was just curious if there was another option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray