Hazards, signals and horn not working after steering wheel reassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Was changing the ignition cylinder and had to realign the rack and plastic gear for the rod that connected to the nss switch, put everything back and the horn, hazards and signals won’t work (they worked before) My regular lights, parking lights and bright clicker works. The plastic piece for the horn,, all contacts are good and clean and in place. I’ve tested by pushing the button inside cause I took it apart again down to the signal cam thing. Fuses are fine and plugs are plugged back up the correctly Am I missing something?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd double check the connector for the turn signal switch. On Goldie years ago even though it looked like it was plugged in it was not and I had no brake lights.

Horn and hazards are constant hot and it sounds like they worked before.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
I will double check tomorrow, it clicked when snapped in while pressing down on each end to make sure all is together since it’s wide

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
I just checked and it’s snapped in all the way , wires are fine not broken or anything.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Unless that switch got damaged somehow or the wires pinched or torn during your rack repair I am lost.

If you happen to have, or know someone that does, a spare switch then you could connect the new one outside of the column for a quick test.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Oh - I can't tell if your truck has the wipers on the column but since you mentioned the high beam clicker I will guess it does.

If so, any chance you only plugged the wiper switch back in and not the long one for the turn signal?

Just throwing stuff out there.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
No problem it is appreciated, yes wipers are on the column and i didn’t need to unplug that one underneath, and I made sure the long plug from the signal cam is matched up with colored wires (it won’t snap in if it’s turns around) I may just try new signal cam since they are too expensive, also order the hazard switch since the inner middle plastic was broken but still with screw in it

Someone previously has been in there because the horn clip with two long contacts wasn’t even there but horn stilled worked before, ordered that part anyway, and I noticed one of the pivot pins had what ever they tried to use broken off in it, I tried drilling in out but my regular bits didn’t go thru. Hopefully I won’t have to go beyond the pivot pins :/

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Perhaps this will help- they had an issue with a burned wire.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Thanks, I didn’t see anything burnt when looking a little bit ago. Hopefully the replacements will work, i didn’t get the part that the wiper stalk goes into with the wiper/ cruise control wires (my cruise control doesn’t work so I have a regular stalk in) not sure what that part is called but saw some for other models and is a bit more money

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks, I didn’t see anything burnt when looking a little bit ago. Hopefully the replacements will work, i didn’t get the part that the wiper stalk goes into with the wiper/ cruise control wires (my cruise control doesn’t work so I have a regular stalk in) not sure what that part is called but saw some for other models and is a bit more money
I am assuming you mean the wiper switch. If so, no sense changing what works- or , paying for the part.

:anitoof:

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Yes that part, I agree!

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Got my parts and signals work ,, horn didn’t though,,, also my locking plate has the ring back on but plate isn’t flush or within on side the column,,, I ordered a new lock ring to see if a non worn one will work,,, the old one is in place but i can still try to push the plate back a little real hard with my hands and looks to be where it should be

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1