Has anybody removed ethanol from their gas ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My truck is Edelbrock FI, but no cats. Would it run ok in that? Or would the ECU have a hissy fit?
The lead will destroy the O2 sensors just like the cats. The Fuel injected systems are fully enclosed an pressurized, so none of the downsides to ethanol containing fuel really applies except for the longevity part. If you never drive it, then its an issue. If you drive it regularly, you have no reason at all to switch from regular E10 gasoline.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I've been running AV gas in my chainsaws and weekwacker for over a year now. I think it's the best option for high compression power equipment.
I also just started running AV gas in my one Chevelle that I been slowing putting back together. It runs so much better on it compared to high test pump gas.
You normally have to baby it for over 5 minutes till it gets warmed up. With AV gas it will idle cold by itself with 2 minutes of start up.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've been running AV gas in my chainsaws and weekwacker for over a year now. I think it's the best option for high compression power equipment.
I also just started running AV gas in my one Chevelle that I been slowing putting back together. It runs so much better on it compared to high test pump gas.
You normally have to baby it for over 5 minutes till it gets warmed up. With AV gas it will idle cold by itself with 2 minutes of start up.
You'll need to regularly change the plugs and clean the valves running AV Gas all the time. It will build lead deposits up and foul everything eventually. If you don't drive it often it likely wont be an issue, but it can be a big problem if you regularly drive it.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
To each his own, but I wouldn't run it in anything with a carb on it. I have a Mercury 90hp 4stroke outboard that says in the owners manual that e10 is ok. It ate the hoses on the interior of the fuel conditioning module and corroded and sank the electronic float. After that was fixed, it ate the interior of an ethanol proof gas hose that ran from the tank to the motor and left it clogged in the fuel filter.
I was also having moisture problems for years in my yard equipment. After switching to non-ethanol, it has completely gone away. Yes, I have used Stabil in my fuel all these years.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it will (safely) run the generator and snow blower....I'm in. Wouldn't need but a couple of jerry cans to last a long while.
AV gas?
Yeah no problem.
It’s a little overkill on engines designed to run on reg gas, but doesn’t affect running quality negatively.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I use my 50/1 saw oil in everything gas. I use old school Belray. I don't know if this negates the ethanal damage, but my equipment loves it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use my 50/1 saw oil in everything gas. I use old school Belray. I don't know if this negates the ethanal damage, but my equipment loves it.
In 4 strokes too? I mean, they will still run, but why?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
In 4 strokes too? I mean, they will still run, but why?
Because when I have a tank of straight gas and another of premix... guess what happens. All I have really that uses straight gas is my plate compactor.
Actually I find 4 stroke engines really like a little oil. Remember I'm talking 50/1. I hit garage sales and people who are moving... help clean out the garage and there's alwasy half jugs of 2 smoke oil. I used to have a an Astro van with many m nay miles on it. That little bit of oil increased compression and there was a slight noticeable increase in power... or at least I imagined that haha.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Because when I have a tank of straight gas and another of premix... guess what happens. All I have really that uses straight gas is my plate compactor.
Actually I find 4 stroke engines really like a little oil. Remember I'm talking 50/1. I hit garage sales and people who are moving... help clean out the garage and there's alwasy half jugs of 2 smoke oil. I used to have a an Astro van with many m nay miles on it. That little bit of oil increased compression and there was a slight noticeable increase in power... or at least I imagined that haha.
Interesting…not doubting you. And I’ve used mixed gas in a pinch before, same situation. Out of straight gas but have some premix handy to finish out the day.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I hear these same problems from everybody but I don't understand why.
I have had ZERO issues with anything that requires gas.
My echo weedwacker is 20 years old and the only thing I've ever done to it is replace a spark plug. I have a Toro lawn mower and pressure washer that I bought when we got or house 16 years ago. Again, just change oil and spark plugs. I have an portable generator that I run at least once a year just make sure it still does run and non problems at all.
My only absolute requirement is if it will have gas sit in the tank for more than a week, it's premium ethanol and treated with Sta-bil. I've never had to replace or repair fuel lines, gas tanks, carbs or anything else gas related.
Even my 400HP 383 stroker boat motor runs premium ethanol treated with Sta-bil....always.
I've never gone out of my way to find non-ethanol or any other kind of AV gas. Most guys in the boating community demand non-ethanol fuel but the problem is you can only get mid-grade non-ethanol, not premium non-ethanol. No thanks, for me its premium or nothing. Ethanol or not.

My FIL was a Phillips jobber for decades. Living in the cold of WI, he taught me more than 40 years ago that using premium gas was never a bad thing. People always said you're wasting money, you don't need it, the engine doesnt require it and on, and on, and on.
I have suvived the change from leaded to unleaded and the change to ethanol and still have to experience any kind of fuel problem on my own engines....ever. I've experienced plenty of problems on engines that weren't mine. Interestingly, those are the same guys who told me I was wasting my money running Sta-bil laced premium ethanol gas.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
I'm running nothing but no-ethanol premium, is running 5 bucks a gallon here in Montana right now. I don't know anything about the technicalities covered in this thread (or at least I didn't until I read it), but what I do know is that my 95 Suburban 454 went from 12 mpg to -7-8 mpg, when I tried running ethanol in it, and my 89 Crew cab 1 Ton TBI (shortly to be a quadrajet) dropped to even worse mileage than normal.

As an aside, one of my wife's uncles was a pretty well-respected ag economist out in IA, for many years, and he's got absolutely nothing good to say about what the whole ethanol thing is doing to good farming practices. The sooner the whole ethanol thing ends, the better, as far as I'm concerned, particularly given what food prices as likely to do in the near future. (And that's something I do know the technicalities of, being the father of 7 kids between the ages of 15 and 2). I'm gonna send those !@#$#-es my next $900 grocery bill, for a month, and tha's raising my own pigs and shooting a whole pile of venison every year.

Aaron

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I use Nuetra, from Schaeffer oils in my gas. I have been using it for years. great product, Have had a rototiller sit for a couple years and would fire right up. It seems to cut down on the bad effects of ethanol fuel.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hear these same problems from everybody but I don't understand why.
I have had ZERO issues with anything that requires gas.
My echo weedwacker is 20 years old and the only thing I've ever done to it is replace a spark plug. I have a Toro lawn mower and pressure washer that I bought when we got or house 16 years ago. Again, just change oil and spark plugs. I have an portable generator that I run at least once a year just make sure it still does run and non problems at all.
My only absolute requirement is if it will have gas sit in the tank for more than a week, it's premium ethanol and treated with Sta-bil. I've never had to replace or repair fuel lines, gas tanks, carbs or anything else gas related.
Even my 400HP 383 stroker boat motor runs premium ethanol treated with Sta-bil....always.
I've never gone out of my way to find non-ethanol or any other kind of AV gas. Most guys in the boating community demand non-ethanol fuel but the problem is you can only get mid-grade non-ethanol, not premium non-ethanol. No thanks, for me its premium or nothing. Ethanol or not.

My FIL was a Phillips jobber for decades. Living in the cold of WI, he taught me more than 40 years ago that using premium gas was never a bad thing. People always said you're wasting money, you don't need it, the engine doesnt require it and on, and on, and on.
I have suvived the change from leaded to unleaded and the change to ethanol and still have to experience any kind of fuel problem on my own engines....ever. I've experienced plenty of problems on engines that weren't mine. Interestingly, those are the same guys who told me I was wasting my money running Sta-bil laced premium ethanol gas.
That’s exactly the point. You are fairly religious about taking care of your fuel. If you weren’t, the effects of ethanol plugging up jets etc would likely be realized. Although that can happen with any fuel but non E lasts longer and av/race gas even longer.
Difference is, my sporadically used stuff like chain saw pressure washer, generator etc can sit for a year or more and I don’t have to think about whether I treated the fuel or drained the tank. Because the gas is still good.
E10 isn’t an issue on rubber or components for anything made in the last however long since the fuel has been around.
So, I agree with you. I just spend more on gas and less on stabil.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One thing that I see is that ethanol in engine that is run all the time is much less of a problem that a rig that is driven little or lawn equipment that sits.

As we all know ethanol likes to attract moisture and it evaporates very well. So gas that use to last a year or more in a can or tank and would still be just fine isn't now because of the ethanol. A month or two after it's been pumped and it now got moisture in it and the octane is low because some of the ethanol has evaporated.

If you can't get ethanol free gas, or like me don't want to pay the higher price for it consider using an additive.
Spot on.
E10 is actually a benefit in situations that used to cause water in fuel or frozen gas line. Haven't bought a bottle Heet or Iso Heet in 20+ years. Used to carry a bottle of Iso in the snomachines tool kit and needed it once or twice.
Also noteworthy, high pressure fuel injection (again, last 20 years or so) has eliminated or reduced alot of issues due to fuel quality. 50-60psi injectors don't get plugged up with a little goober of varnish like jets and needles do. ECMs can and do retard timing to cover for some bad fuel behavior as well.
But to @mtnmankev question/issue, yeah it's still a problem with carbs and old fuel, moreso than pure gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus