Has anybody removed ethanol from their gas ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Spot on.
E10 is actually a benefit in situations that used to cause water in fuel or frozen gas line. Haven't bought a bottle Heet or Iso Heet in 20+ years. Used to carry a bottle of Iso in the snomachines tool kit and needed it once or twice.
Also noteworthy, high pressure fuel injection (again, last 20 years or so) has eliminated or reduced alot of issues due to fuel quality. 50-60psi injectors don't get plugged up with a little goober of varnish like jets and needles do. ECMs can and do retard timing to cover for some bad fuel behavior as well.
But to @mtnmankev question/issue, yeah it's still a problem with carbs and old fuel, moreso than pure gas.
IIRC Heet is Methanol, which like ethanol is obviously alcohol. And that brings up a good point. How many of us have had issues with water in the gas in the past and poured in a bottle of heet, or maybe even used it on a regular basis. Obviously it would be less than 10% but still something to think about.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
IIRC Heet is Methanol, which like ethanol is obviously alcohol. And that brings up a good point. How many of us have had issues with water in the gas in the past and poured in a bottle of heet, or maybe even used it on a regular basis. Obviously it would be less than 10% but still something to think about.
And only Iso Heet is recommended for 2 stroke engines, not the methanol yellow bottle. I'm pretty sure I learned that the hard way, as it was the only thing I did after having a fuel line freeze up on a snowmobile engine. Probably double dosed it as I recall using a whole bottle. Got bad detonation and burnt a piston.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A friend of my dad's was the oil comptroller for the Great Lakes. Said that the secret ingredient Sohio (BP) used for their no fuel line freeze up guarantee was isopropyl. Said every Fall they'd have a train about 2 miles long of nothing but tanker cars full of it.

Anytime I had old gas or a partial tank that sat (condensation) I dumped 1-2 bottles of 91% isopropyl in. Separated the water from the fuel and started every time. I still keep about a case of the stuff on hand - dump a bottle in when we're getting the sub zero temps and the car's outside.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Thats the beauty of the corn whiskey laced fuels. They’ve all but eliminated fuel line freeze ups and injesting slugs of water.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
After reading what you guy had to say, I switched to nonalcholic gas for my lawn mower, it's back to starting with just one pull.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
May want to check your local Walmart clearance. 2 of the locations near me clearanced out there tru-fuel quarts for $3 in the last couple weeks. Bought 8-10 cans and they are still restocking.

I only use ethanol free in the small motors like go carts, pressure washers, etc. It all starts first pull, no run-on or dieseling when shut down, and no mess when filling.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
After reading what you guy had to say, I switched to nonalcholic gas for my lawn mower, it's back to starting with just one pull.
Well I'm surprised, I thought it might be going though withdrawls lol.
May want to check your local Walmart clearance. 2 of the locations near me clearanced out there tru-fuel quarts for $3 in the last couple weeks. Bought 8-10 cans and they are still restocking.

I only use ethanol free in the small motors like go carts, pressure washers, etc. It all starts first pull, no run-on or dieseling when shut down, and no mess when filling.
The thing is that's super expensive. 4 quarts in a gallon even on clearance that's $12 a gallon. I suppose it all depends on how much you go though as to whether or not it's economical. There is a farm store kind of sort of near the farm but a little out of the way that has non-ethonal at the pumps, it's generally about $.50 more per gallon than other stations.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The thing is that's super expensive. 4 quarts in a gallon even on clearance that's $12 a gallon. I suppose it all depends on how much you go though as to whether or not it's economical. There is a farm store kind of sort of near the farm but a little out of the way that has non-ethonal at the pumps, it's generally about $.50 more per gallon than other stations.
Yeah, very expensive but for those of us that only go through a quart a month, it's a good deal. Wasn't trying to imply for large scale use in a vehicle but I wasn't clear either. There is a place that sells ethanol free race gas for around $8-12 depending on octane buts not very convenient. The little cans make it easy.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah, very expensive but for those of us that only go through a quart a month, it's a good deal. Wasn't trying to imply for large scale use in a vehicle but I wasn't clear either. There is a place that sells ethanol free race gas for around $8-12 depending on octane buts not very convenient. The little cans make it easy.
Ben, I have to admit that as I started to write that post in my head was kind of why would anyone think that's a good deal and then as I began typing and thinking the realization that for someone that goes though a small quantity it might make sence. And also that not everyone has it available at the pump. And I have to admit that I run regular pump 10% ethonal gas in all my small equipment. But most of my equipment is run a lot so the gas has little time to sit, and if I shut something down for the winter like my lawn mower, I run it out of gas. I do see the benifits to ethonal free in small equipment don't get me wrong it's just not the program I'm on.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I completely agree with what everyone is saying....#FJB!!!

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Use LL100 AV gas. It's ethanol/methanol free.
Or better yet, change over to propane.
Propane almost lasts forever and causes no carb issues.
Turn on the tank and fire it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68