Has anybody removed ethanol from their gas ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I'm definitely sick and tired of having issues arising from ethanol in gas .. and not just on my trucks.
Chainsaws, generators, pressure washer, and water transfer pumps are among the required gasoline operated equipment where I live and I have too much to deal with already.
Dealing with added repairs (cost, labor and time involved) means more on my plate than I can handle.

I'm wondering if anybody here on the site tried removing the ethanol from gas, and how did it work out.
Did you have any fuel issues running it, such as lowered octane, etc .........?
With the impending increase in ethanol levels in gas this summer, I may have to start doing that just to keep everything running right.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I buy non-ethanol here local and it has made a huge difference in my lawn equipment, boat motors, old cars and trucks. I live on the river and I got tired of the ethanol eating gas lines, corroding metal, absorbing water. Even engines that supposedly are built for ethanol are affected.
I do run ethanol in both of my newer vehicles though with no problems.

Traucht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I buy non-ethanol here local and it has made a huge difference in my lawn equipment, boat motors, old cars and trucks. I live on the river and I got tired of the ethanol eating gas lines, corroding metal, absorbing water. Even engines that supposedly are built for ethanol are affected.
I do run ethanol in both of my newer vehicles though with no problems.
Same for me. All my small carb. engines get ethanol free gas.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I have to drive a minimum of 60 miles one way to get any, then there's ONE station that sells it, at a high price.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
My understanding is that the ethanol acts as an octane booster, so taking it out leaves you with low octane gas. And the only way I can think of getting it out safely is to wash it out with water. Then of course, you have to worry about water in the gas...

Check pure-gas.org to see if there's any stations near you that sell deathanol free gas.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ethanol cannot easily be removed at the home.

Horrible stuff, shouldn't ever have been added to mo gas. Don't use it in any power equipment, period. Yes, non-ethanol is more expensive but how much fuel does a weed wacker use? No carbureted vehicle I know of was ever designed to run on it. Believe me it hurts to fill up 2 tanks $4.50 a gallon getting 8 MPG but I don't want to get stuck somewhere. An old square body has lots of non-compatible parts. It will boil easier [vapor lock] and heat-soaked carbs can cause hard starting.

Biden announced today he is trying to get 15% ethanol approved by the EPA. What a joke. Lets drive the cost of food up more.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Well, I guess I can quit buying groceries, propane for the fridge, stove, and water heater, and no more house supplies so I can start running E-free gas.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ask around the lakes and marinas near you, it may be found closer than you think but not as advertised... Boaters usually use ethanol free gas and Im starting to run a tank in the Burb every other fill up.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have to drive a minimum of 60 miles one way to get any, then there's ONE station that sells it, at a high price.
Sounds like where I live. I know of one place that's 45 minutes away, and last time I looked it was almost $4 a gallon when normal gas was like $2.35, lord only knows what it is now.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Ask around the lakes and marinas near you, it may be found closer than you think but not as advertised... Boaters usually use ethanol free gas and Im starting to run a tank in the Burb every other fill up.
I'm up in the mountains, and no such things exist here.
I live near a tiny town, and we are lucky to even have a couple gas stations, one sells regular unleaded and diesel, no mid grade or premium gas, so E-free will never happen here.
And it takes about a half tank of gas each way to get to a city where the one station is that sells it.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I live near a tiny town, and we are lucky to even have a couple gas stations, one sells regular unleaded and diesel, no mid grade or premium gas, so E-free will never happen here.
And it takes about a half tank of gas each way to get to a city where the one station is that sells it.
Sounds like a good place to me! I keep Stihl ethanol free for my small engines on board and run Lucas fuel stabilizer in my trucks with great success..my burb sat for years and now I have a new engine, tranny, but have not had to change the fuel pump. I can only attribute that to good gas and Lucas.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First, don’t fall into the ethanol is always bad trap that some of these guys who don’t understand it are.
Second, do you have an airstrip with fuel closer? 100LL is more $ but will last longer than no E pump gas. And not much more as there’s no road tax on it.
Third, you can’t have “that” much to do to just spend a couple minutes as needed to handle not leaving E10 in the engines. If you use anything from the last 25 years or so somewhat regularly it’s not an issue. If you don’t, run it out of gas.
Lastly, for the small quantities used in your tools, just treat the fuel if it’s an issue.
This connundrum is more just complaining about the cost of fuel and your personal situation than it is a fuel issue.

However I do understand the issues with ethanol and choose to run 100LL in my seldom used gas powered tools. Just because My time is worth more than the $10 more that a 5 gal can is worth. However old or new, I’ve not had issues with E10 if it’s used in a reasonable amount of time.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve not had issues with E10 if it’s used in a reasonable amount of time.
I understand your point but not always true. I have several older watercraft that have non-compliant fuel hoses. Ethanol degrades the lines from the inside. Particles flake off, restricting parts of the fuel system. If a high speed jet gets restricted it about $1200 for a top end. Due to the way they were built replacing the lines really isn't possible.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
First, don’t fall into the ethanol is always bad trap that some of these guys who don’t understand it are.
Second, do you have an airstrip with fuel closer? 100LL is more $ but will last longer than no E pump gas. And not much more as there’s no road tax on it.
Third, you can’t have “that” much to do to just spend a couple minutes as needed to handle not leaving E10 in the engines. If you use anything from the last 25 years or so somewhat regularly it’s not an issue. If you don’t, run it out of gas.
Lastly, for the small quantities used in your tools, just treat the fuel if it’s an issue.
This connundrum is more just complaining about the cost of fuel and your personal situation than it is a fuel issue.

However I do understand the issues with ethanol and choose to run 100LL in my seldom used gas powered tools. Just because My time is worth more than the $10 more that a 5 gal can is worth. However old or new, I’ve not had issues with E10 if it’s used in a reasonable amount of time.
I agree with this.

One thing that I see is that ethanol in engine that is run all the time is much less of a problem that a rig that is driven little or lawn equipment that sits.

As we all know ethanol likes to attract moisture and it evaporates very well. So gas that use to last a year or more in a can or tank and would still be just fine isn't now because of the ethanol. A month or two after it's been pumped and it now got moisture in it and the octane is low because some of the ethanol has evaporated.

If you can't get ethanol free gas, or like me don't want to pay the higher price for it consider using an additive. A stabilizer or MM oil will help, some with the problems, and don't let gas sit around in tanks or cans. Run the lawn mower dry at the end of the season so it doesn't gum up. It's not a perfect solution but it will help reduce the extra work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus