Harbor freight portable garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
The locals always complain about the vehicles in my driveway.
It's full!
6 cars.
Just bought 2 more!
Need some kind of portable structure to hide a few vehicles behind my house.
Any options besides harbor freight?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I hate people that get involved with things that dont concern them. The townsfolk have given a few of my neighbors a hard time about cars to the point where one put up a privacy fence around his property. I have 5 cars currently (one being parted out) and havent heard a peep, hopefully it stays that way.

The HF garage is probably gonna be your cheapest option. When I looked into it, the reviews seemed more good than bad. My suggestions is to anchor it well and clean off any snow whenever possible.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would not put anything of value under one of those tarp style carports. I had one and it cost me a new backwindow in the wife's car which wasn't even under it. they will not hold up in wind, or other storm/weather.

Trust me everyone says oh I'll tie it down good, well let me break down how mine was...

I had the screw in stakes at each corner, I had concrete blocks on each leg base, I had a 4 foot long rebar mine roof bolt drove into the ground with a 16 lb. sledge hammer at opposing angles at each corner with a good 1/2 thick rope tied around the corner and down to that rebar.

THEN I had the front, back and sides ratchet strapped to my truck, it still blew down in a bad thundersotmr and wiped a poll out and around smashing the back glass in the wife's 00 monte carlo, cost me $300 to get that fixed.

My mom's boyfriend had one, had fence posts that had about 50-80 lbs or quickrete on each, tied to each leg of his, blew over no problems and alot of times more then mine.

Now with that said if it's behind your house and it's like right up next to it depending on how much wind you get and the direction, it may be ok with some good extra support to hold it down and the house serving as a wind break on it.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Someone needs to market..sleeping bags for cars!
Drive them in and zip them up!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I use the 10’x20’ car ports from Costco. They’re only about $220. Never had one blow away. The sun will kill the cover in 5-7 years. I keep the sides zipped down when I’m not in it to avoid wind lift. I use camping stakes at the posts. When the cover of my first one died, I beefed up the frame and skinned it in used corrugated steel. I keep my firewood under that one. We get big storms here (~5” of rain in the past couple days) but not much in the way of snow load.

84 C20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
scuddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 sb

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Well, after reading this post I think I'll forgo the "portable garage" route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019