Greasing column shift indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
As I am setting up this new digital gauge set, I am cleaning up all the parts before I reinstall them...

The shift indicator mechanism is kinda cruddy, so I'd like to soak it in some degreaser and then reinstall it, nice and shiny like new...

But it obviously has some sort of grease on it to allow smooth movement of the needle assy...

Any idea what kind of grease I can use?

Will lithium grease (spray can) work?

The existing grease seems similar to that of the old door hinge grease sticks, which I might have, but I have no idea where..

I have lithium grease (spray can)
I have silicone lubricant (spray can)
I have garage door lubricant (spray can)
I have WD40 (spray can)
and other than that, I have cutting oil, pipe threading oil, etc...

Trying to think of what 'thick grease' I might have...
I probably have a zerk grease gun somewhere with grease in it..
(the kind for lubricating steering linkage)

Hoping one of these will do....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't know if this is the textbook approach to this, but I'd use a dry lubricant on that indicator so things don't get attracted to it and sludge it up over time.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I always thought that the grease on that indicator slide was way overkill. If the wires that are attached to the orange indicator are properly routed - through the little plastic fairlead on the right - it barely even makes contact with the black guide. Along with the return spring, the wires/fairlead actually lift the indicator up off the guide a bit.

Apparently, GM must have eventually thought the same way. It seems at some point, they stopped putting grease on those parts. Here is an essentially NOS instrument cluster - untouched by human hands since it left the factory. It was pulled from a 1987 C10 that had only 625 miles. There is no lubricant at all:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Don't waste your strength on this issue. Save it for when the time comes to properly position the wire clip on the shift lever bowl - you know, so the indicator needle lines up with the "D" when the transmission is in drive. If a person is even the slightest bit OCD - that procedure should be subbed out.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
That piece that acts like a fairlead is evidently broken/missing on mine..

This brings up a question, when I switch out the tranny to a 700r4 and I replace the existing column with one that has OD, will I still be able to use the same bezel? Or does it require a bezel with a wider opening?

The donor column I am hoping to use is a tilt column, coming from an 88 suburban

How is that typically dealt with?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Classic Parts carries the complete overdrive indicator assembly. They also carry the pointer, spring and cable if yours are broken or missing. Not sure what year your column is. The first is for 82-83. The second is for 84-87. Other than the printing on the black background I don't see much of a difference. Maybe some else knows.

http://www.classicparts.com/1982-83-Automatic-Shift-Indicator-Assy-w_-OD/productinfo/91-453/#.WNVoTm_ysr8
http://www.classicparts.com/1984-87-Automatic-Shift-Indicator-Assy-w_-OD/productinfo/91-454/#.WNVocm_ysr8

tanyourhide

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup custom
Engine Size
250 inline 6
Silicone lubricant

If you feel ypu must grease it, i would only use silcone lubricant preferably a spray can. Lithium and wd 40 and others are harsh on platics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88