Getting hot and cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
hey guys so I have been dealing with this issue for a little while now and I can not find the problem, when it warms up and I began to drive it just slowly keeps warming till it pegs the gauge out then will cool just a little, warm back up till it pegs again then rapidly cools to normal (like the thermostat just opened).then just started warming up and doing it all over again. I changed the thermostat made sure the coolant is full. the hoses all feel loose and warm. anything else it could be

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
blocked radiator either restricted in side from corrosion or cardboard in front of the fins between the condenser, could be a bad fan clutch but it should cool off when moving. Air in the system or reverse rotation water pump/fan on a standard rotation setup/ standard rotation on reverse rotation setup only other possibility is blown head gasket.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d check the temperature with an infrared thermometer. Those temp gauges can really throw you for a loop sometimes.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Or a good mechanical gauge

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thanks guys I will definitely look into those things. giving me a good direction to go to

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
blocked radiator either restricted in side from corrosion or cardboard in front of the fins between the condenser, could be a bad fan clutch but it should cool off when moving. Air in the system or reverse rotation water pump/fan on a standard rotation setup/ standard rotation on reverse rotation setup only other possibility is blown head gasket.

2X Kacy's primary suggestion. Do this simple test to check for fouled watersides of the radiator cross tubes. It will also confirm adequate water pump flow and t-stat operation;

1. With the engine cool, open the radiator cap. Leave the cap off.

2. Drain off enough coolant so that the level in the radiator is about halfway down the tubes.

3. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temp.

4. When normal operating temp has been reached, look down through the neck and observe whether coolant begins to flow out of the ends of the
tubes and into the tank. If it does, that would confirm that the t-stat is opening at the correct temp.

5. Next, have your assistant rev the engine up/down while you observe the level in the outlet tank. When the RPM's are increased, two things should
happen

a. The volume of water issuing from the tube ends should increase substantially and

b. The level in the tank should fall noticeably

6. When the RPM's are allowed to return to normal, the coolant should quickly rise back up to the initial level.

While you have the cap off and the level is down, inspect the ends of the tubes carefully using a flashlight. Note whether there appears to be any deposits that have formed. If so, you can be almost sure that the watersides have become coated all the way across. Sometimes, while there is sufficient flow through the tubes, heat transfer is inadequate due to the film of mineral deposits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20