Gas cap/charcoal canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
A breather tube filter end for what ever size hose you are needing it for. LOL I dunno what the actual name of it is haha

You must be registered for see images attach

Its a check or breather valve

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is my theory which belongs to me as follows:

No - not like a check valve. It is just a little roof over the end of the vent hose to keep debris/water from getting into the line.

Flow through the hose must be allowed in both directions. When the differential warms up, the gear oil/vapor within the casing expand and the vapor is allowed to vent to atmosphere. When the day is done and the differential cools down, the oil and vapor return to their normal volume - air is allowed to flow back into the casing.

No pressure builds up when hot - and no vacuum is created when cold.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This is my theory which belongs to me as follows:

No - not like a check valve. It is just a little roof over the end of the vent hose to keep debris/water from getting into the line.

Flow through the hose must be allowed in both directions. When the differential warms up, the gear oil/vapor within the casing expand and the vapor is allowed to vent to atmosphere. When the day is done and the differential cools down, the oil and vapor return to their normal volume - air is allowed to flow back into the casing.

No pressure builds up when hot - and no vacuum is created when cold.

Yaya I thought about that too as soon as I posted but I was to lazy to fix it. You are 100% correct though its more or less an air debris filter. They are used on the axles, transfer case and fuel tanks. I have seen a smaller version on transmissions too.

I still do not know the correct name for them though lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The GM parts lists show them as a "ventilator RR axle".

Hey why don't you come over and help out with this A/C thing. I have been typing for hours and I suck at it. I am supposed to be replacing the fuel pump in my daughter's Saab but have been here all day. Consequently, I have not made much progress on the pump job. My wife is aware of this - and last time I checked she was painting her face and getting ready to go on the warpath.

By the way there was more to that ventilator post but I deleted it. Here it is now (one of my favorite Monty Python sketches):

Television Host (Graham Chapman): Good evening. Tonight - dinosaurs. I have here sitting in the studio next to me an elk. Aaagghhhh! Oh, I'm sorry, Anne Elk, Mrs Anne Elk.

Miss Elk (John Cleese, as a very prim lady): Miss.

Host: Miss Anne Elk, who is an expert on the...

Elk: No, no, no, Anne Elk.

Host: What?

Elk: Anne Elk, not Anne Expert.

Host: No, no, I was saying that you, Miss Elk, were an, A.N. not A.N.N.E., expert...

Elk: Oh!

Host: ...on elks - I'm sorry, on dinosaurs.

Elk: Yes, I certainly am, Chris, how very true, my word yes!

Host: Now, Miss Elk - Anne - you have a new theory about the brontosaurus.

Elk: Could I just say, Chris, for one moment that I have a new theory about the brontosaurus?

Host: Er... exactly. What is it?

Elk: Where?

Host: No, no, no. What is your theory?

Elk: Oh, what is my theory?

Host: Yes.

Elk: Oh what is my theory, that it is. Yes, well you may well ask, what is my theory.

Host: (slightly impatient) I am asking.

Elk: And well you may. Yes my word you may well ask what it is, this theory of mine. Well, this theory that I have--that is to say, which is mine-- ...is mine.

Host: (more impatient) I know it's yours. What is it?

Elk: Where? Oh, what is my theory?

Host: Yes!

Elk: Oh, my theory that I have follows the lines I am about to relate. (Coughs) Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem.

Host: Oh God.

Elk: Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. Ahem. [Impatient noises from Host] The Theory, by A. Elk. That's A for Anne, it's not by a elk.

Host: Right....

Elk: This theory which belongs to me is as follows. Ahem. Ahem. This is how it goes. Ahem. The next thing that I am about to say is my theory. Ahem. Ready?

(Host moans)

Elk: The Theory by A. Elk brackets Miss brackets. My theory is along the following lines.

Host: Oh God.

Elk: All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much MUCH thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end. That is the theory that I have and which is mine, and what it is too.

Host: That's it, is it?

Elk: Right, Chris.

Host: Well, Anne, this theory of yours seems to have hit the nail on the head.

Elk: And it's mine.

Host: (ironical) Thank you for coming along to the studio.

Elk: My pleasure, Chris.

Host: Er...Britain's newest wasp farm...

Elk: It's been a lot of fun.

Host: ...opened last week...

Elk: Saying what my theory is.

Host: Yes, thank you.

Elk: And whose it is.

Host: Yes. ...opened last week...

Elk: I have another theory.

Host: Not today, thank you.

Elk: My theory number two, which is the second theory that I have. Ahem! This theory...

Host: Oh look...shut up!

Elk: ...is what I am about to say...

Host: Oh please shut up!

Elk: ...which, with what I have said, are the two theories that are mine and belong to me.

Host: Look, if you don't shut up I shall shoot you.

Elk: Ahem! My brace of theories, which I possess the ownership of, which belongs to me...

(BANG!)

(Pause)

Elk: Ahem. The Theory the Second by Anne...

(MACHINE GUN FIRE)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello