Fuel Tank Replacement Seals / Rubber Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know I have seen some of the answers I seek but cannot find them in any search.

I'm swapping out both tanks for FI ones. Everything there is untouched for 35 yrs. What seals typically go / should be replaced (I'm thinking anything with the filler necks)?

Also - where (or what are they even called) do you get the foam rubber anti-squeak (?) strips that go inside the mounting bands?

This is the first thing happening when / if the weather breaks, so wanted to order these sooner than later.

Thanks fellas.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know I have seen some of the answers I seek but cannot find them in any search.

I'm swapping out both tanks for FI ones. Everything there is untouched for 35 yrs. What seals typically go / should be replaced (I'm thinking anything with the filler necks)?

Also - where (or what are they even called) do you get the foam rubber anti-squeak (?) strips that go inside the mounting bands?

This is the first thing happening when / if the weather breaks, so wanted to order these sooner than later.

Thanks fellas.
I think the filler neck is just a bend of rubber that has two hose clamps on it... and mine has, not sure if yours, another hose that runs along side it, much shorter. that then bolts, im assuming, to the side of the bed I didnt realize it had anymore to it other than 3 fuel lines(output, return, vent) which on a FI is probably threaded on outlet

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
As Auroragirl said, it’s just a short section of Large diameter hose. Cleanup and reuse the hose if you can, since it’s about $20 for just a short section of hose. The small hose in parallel (another $20!) is supposed to let air in while filling, but I know mine still shuts off too soon. Several places sell new straps and rubber strips if you need them.

Switching to dual EFI tanks might get a little pricey for you. You need two electric pumps and sending units, and an EFI dual tank solenoid.

Bruce

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info.

I have the tanks, senders, AC Delco fuel pumps and switch already bought. Not nearly as bad as you think when I take my time to look for clearance deals. One could go with a single pump using the old style senders, but I like redundancy....if one fails, I'm still driving. I even got an original brass proportioning valve (Stamped "Made in Detroit, Michigan USA") NIB from an army surplus auction for $30.

Truck is totally rust free. I'll powder coat the straps - just need the new foam stuff that goes between them and the tanks (which are also powder coated). :)

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice - thanks for the link.

I had looked on LMC and saw nothing of the foam. I think @Craig 85 mentioned it one time here but cannot find his post. Thought about using something else but feared it becoming saturated and rusting the tank out down the road.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've used strips of bicycle inner tube before as strap isolators.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
35 years? REPLACE THE DAMN HOSES!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
35 years? REPLACE THE DAMN HOSES!

Its ALL going....got a roll of fuel line (going FI so had to swap everything anyways) and new stainless hard lines en route. All brake lines too (even though none of mine are rusted - at all...be a shame to scrap them).

Ordered them from Michigan so not sure if Queen Kim Jong Bitchmer will approve their travel papers. Might have to fly a balloon over the border at night to smuggle them out.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice - thanks for the link.

I had looked on LMC and saw nothing of the foam. I think @Craig 85 mentioned it one time here but cannot find his post. Thought about using something else but feared it becoming saturated and rusting the tank out down the road.

I just bought the LMC strips and they are TERRIBLE quality. It’s not foam strips like I thought it would be. Instead it’s thin felt paper like the stuff you put down under roof shingles. I still used it, but it’s 15$ I wish I could have back.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought the LMC strips and they are TERRIBLE quality. It’s not foam strips like I thought it would be. Instead it’s thin felt paper like the stuff you put down under roof shingles. I still used it, but it’s 15$ I wish I could have back.

I bet a cut up bicycle tube would work great

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
When I removed the tanks off my 78, the strips were not rubber. They were a thick tar paper. These were definately original. I replaced mine with thick tar paper as well. Find a roll of 4" wide in a local hardware store

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB