Fuel Sending Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I replaced both my Sending units "spectra" and still don't have a fuel gauge....tank grounds are very clean and tight. . I have bed off my truck would any of the grounds connected to rear lights have anything to do w it.....I sure doubt it but thought id ask.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
what do you mean you don't have a fuel gauge? if you mean it isn't responsive...I'd check the function of the gauge and pop the sending units out to make sure nothing is bound up. is the gauge pegged to one side or the other?

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
what do you mean you don't have a fuel gauge? if you mean it isn't responsive...I'd check the function of the gauge and pop the sending units out to make sure nothing is bound up. is the gauge pegged to one side or the other?
My gauge just sits on Empty, two brand new Tanks , And 2 new sending units, everything is clean and connected. I'm fairly new to these trucks....is a common issue the gauge cluster/ and or fuel gauge itself?

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Pinned at E means there's a dead short to ground somewhere between the tank ground and the gauge. It's either the wiring or the senders.

Does the gauge needle swing to 3:00 when you remove the wire from the selected sender?

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Pinned at E means there's a dead short to ground somewhere between the tank ground and the gauge. It's either the wiring or the senders.

Does the gauge needle swing to 3:00 when you remove the wire from the selected sender?
I actually haven't tried that....yet I might have to go in hospital today or tomorrow so now I'm not sure when ill get back to it...the joys of having Cystic Fibrosis, ill let you know when I try that out.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Ok so I went ahead and tried it real quick.....my gas gauge DID go to 3' oclock when I disconnected the sending unit ....that was interesting so what could that mean?

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
It means that gauge wiring to that tank is perfectly fine. The sender has a problem. It's either jammed at the bottom of the tank or the wire wound resistor element is shorted to the sender body on both ends.

Why is that?

The GM fuel gauge reads E when the sender resistance is 0Ω (a dead short to ground)
The GM fuel gauge reads F when the sender resistance is 90Ω.

When the sender is unplugged and the gauge wiring is OK the resistance can be said to be .
A resistance of (an open circuit) drives the needle to the stop at the top of the gauge which happens to be roughly the 3:00 position.

Your wiring ain't shorted to ground the senders are.

Last edited:

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welp I'm headed to hospital I do really appreciate information, hopefully I can return to my truck in 2 weeks....ill keep you post if I have any other troubles thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well I hope all goes well for you.

And I hope we can assume the tanks are not just empty.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Lucky for cell phones I can still chat, I did put 5 gallons into drivers side tank, so id figure it would at least read quarter of a tank...but it was definitely below empty line on gauge.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Dang! Einstein! Lol. You don't know how many times I've forgotten to ask that. Good question.....

And hope you get better soon @mavtricks71

Last edited:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hope it's nothing too serious. In any case have yourself a speedy and un-eventful recovery.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hope it's nothing too serious. In any case have yourself a speedy and un-eventful recovery.
Thank you for concern I think I'll be fine.
Hatzie ....if I was to pull sending unit out of tank I can manually trick the fuel gauge by running the float up or down right ? And see if gauge inside truck moves?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thank you for concern I think I'll be fine.
Hatzie ....if I was to pull sending unit out of tank I can manually trick the fuel gauge by running the float up or down right ? And see if gauge inside truck moves?
Yes as long as you ground the sending unit.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Maybe consider eliminating the tank transfer valve as the problem first. Look under the cab - about a foot forward of the rear wall on the LH frame rail - and locate the splice point for the extension lead that runs over to the Pollak valve:
You must be registered for see images attach

Separate the two leads:

and then connect common lead - the one that runs forward - to the production (LH) fuel tank sender:

The valve (and the extension lead) will then be bypassed. Turn key to run and check gauge function. You will only read the LH tank.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones