fuel pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtexmex

Reaction score
First Name
jaime
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a bit of an issue here. I replaced the fuel pump on my 1986 chevy c10 with a 305. And still there is no gas coming thru to the carb. I sprayed starter fluid in the carb and it starts but dies because of no fuel. I went back and removed the pump to make sure the push rod was done right and still no fuel to carb. Is ther another pump in the tank? And help would be greatly appreciated. maybe the whole time I didn't need to replace the fuel pump and the issue is something else.

thanks in advance

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Should just be the one pump. Have you checked your fuel filter? Beyond that I'd suggest seeing if the pump will feed from a gas can. If it does you probably have a problem earlier in your line. I have gotten several dud fuel pumps so it wouldn't surprise me if you got one too.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, P30 based motorhomes were the only ones I know that ever had a mechanical pump and an in-tank electric pump. You're gonna have to pull gas from a can like he said so you can rule out everything to the rear of the pump. I would agree that the pump could be defective, the filter in the carburetor might be bad if it's a Q-Jet, or if you have any rubber lines instead of the pre-bent steel line between the pump and the carb, they could be bad.

mrtexmex

Reaction score
First Name
jaime
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks guys. I did change the filter on the carb as well. I guess ill see if the pump gas from a can and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad