Fuel pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I started my truck to go to work yesterday. I always wait a second or two to hear the pump start. Fired right up, ran for 30 seconds then died. Went to start her again and didn't hear the pump. Pump or relay shot? At least it happened here at home and not at work like my old Dodge!

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My Service Engine Light did come on a couple of days ago. Did the wire trick to the OBD. Came up as code 24 but says to disregard this code and check TPS setting. Would this cause my problem?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Check the fuse too. Mine popped and although it woukd crank, no fuel pump priming was heard. The last issue I had was when I switched from the drivers side tank to the passenger side tank with the engine running. The motor sputtered and died. The problem was my fuel pump went out. Not bad for a 30 plus year old fuel pump. If it is in fact a bad fuel pump, be sure to also buy and replace the intake screen that attaches to the bottom (intake) of the pump. When these filters fail, particles of the screen become lodged in the pump also causing eventual failure. I found it easier to drop the tank, rather than slide the bed back.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a stepside so I have to drop the tank as the pump is mounted under the cab. The pump in my Dodge had **** the bed at work. I was able to grab a service truck, take it home and get my air compressor and tools. We have a boom truck at my plant so it was put to good use pulling my bed off!

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is there a fuse in the engine bay? I checked the fuses in the cab but they were ok.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
The fuse should be under the dash. It took me awhile to locate it. My fuse blew scratched my head for a bit and passed it off as just an electrical gremlin (had quite a few during the restoration). I finally figured out that the fuel pump in the passenger side tank was locking up. When I pulled the pump.....yeah...it was roached! Now I am back to having two functioning tanks. Thank goodness that the drivers side tank kept me on the road. Previous owner did quite the hack job when he ATTEMPTED to restore this squarebody

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My truck had duel tanks but one of the p.o. removed the passenger side tank. I eventually want to get another one.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The fuse should be under the dash. It took me awhile to locate it. My fuse blew scratched my head for a bit and passed it off as just an electrical gremlin (had quite a few during the restoration). I finally figured out that the fuel pump in the passenger side tank was locking up. When I pulled the pump.....yeah...it was roached! Now I am back to having two functioning tanks. Thank goodness that the drivers side tank kept me on the road. Previous owner did quite the hack job when he ATTEMPTED to restore this squarebody
Where did you find it? I'm going to be working on her this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Under dash...I believe its either the ECM, or ECMB labeled fuse. I pulled all thenfuses when mine would only crank, not start and replaced any that were blown. Best to keep extra fuses in the glove box in case you ever need some. If you prefer, you could also check for power continuity with a multi - meter rather than pulling them out . Luckily there aren't many fuses in the squares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB