Fuel problems got me good this time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
Read my last post again.. "a wee tad" is not acceptable.. You can't see inside the housing to check the cable itself.. The cable is made up of several strands much like a rope.. If just one of those strands break it will jamb, it's just a matter of time.. What you describe as a "wee tad of stick" could be a broken strand.. Check again carefully..
Will do, full check in the a.m very much appreciate all the insight sir thank you

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Good deal.. Take a look at the things I mentioned and get back to me with your findings..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
He’s absolutely right about the resistance factor. The old one on my Jimmy had a lot of resistance when connected to the TBI where, by the time you pushed hard enough to get a reaction from the engine, it’d lurch away. With the cable disconnected, it moved very freely, but something wasn’t right. I just went ahead and replaced it, and my throttle advance has been completely at my discretion ever since and not all choppy.

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
Good deal.. Take a look at the things I mentioned and get back to me with your findings..
Vehicle maintenance day #2 was a rousing success! New throttle cable made all the difference, the resistance is ridiculously low on the new one made the old cable feel like it was bent over on itself (i got curious and opened up the sleeve and sure enough one broken strand right plum in the middle). Ran for about an hour between idle and cruising back streets around town before I shut her down and called it good, thanks again sir.

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
He’s absolutely right about the resistance factor. The old one on my Jimmy had a lot of resistance when connected to the TBI where, by the time you pushed hard enough to get a reaction from the engine, it’d lurch away. With the cable disconnected, it moved very freely, but something wasn’t right. I just went ahead and replaced it, and my throttle advance has been completely at my discretion ever since and not all choppy.
Man its wild how much control i have with the pedal now, I always chocked it up to it being a big ass old truck that took some coercion turns out I was wroooong wrong wrong, thankfully.

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
Beg the pard here, I hate to hijack my own thread but whilst I was poking around I saw some bits and bobs that I cant exactly place/look suspect. First off is this return spring supposed to in series like this? I've had to break out this trick before but I knew it was kinda sketch when I did it but seeing as how I dont know much about these trucks yet I figured it never hurts to ask
Also in the drivers side fender well I found this guy just hanging out, looked like some kinda heating element but well like I said I dont know much here.

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Man its wild how much control i have with the pedal now, I always chocked it up to it being a big ass old truck that took some coercion turns out I was wroooong wrong wrong, thankfully.
Ain't it great when a good plan comes together :happy107:... Congrats on getting it fixed.. And I also want to commend you for giving us you attention and following instructions.. You're a good student..:winner_first_h4h:

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
Ain't it great when a good plan comes together :happy107:... Congrats on getting it fixed.. And I also want to commend you for giving us you attention and following instructions.. You're a good student..:winner_first_h4h:
They say you either win or you learn and I take my fair share of learning lol

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
The return springs look just like mine factory fit. the heating element is a soft plug heater , looks like . Follow it to the other end and see if there is still a 110 volt plug on it. Good job on the repair

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
The return springs look just like mine factory fit. the heating element is a soft plug heater , looks like . Follow it to the other end and see if there is still a 110 volt plug on it. Good job on the repair
One less thing to worry about there then. Any idea on where that heater would have been installed? And why?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
One less thing to worry about there then. Any idea on where that heater would have been installed? And why?
It would have been in one of the casting (freeze) plug openings in the side of the block. It's a block heater for cold climates

Joshua Kincaid

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra C3500 Dually
Engine Size
It would have been in one of the casting (freeze) plug openings in the side of the block. It's a block heater for cold climates
Oh that's pretty sweet, I really should have known that but it looked different from the block heaters I've installed before. The ones I've done were pretty much nested inside a big brass fitting. Too bad the truck was down most of the winter that could have been handy.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh that's pretty sweet, I really should have known that but it looked different from the block heaters I've installed before. The ones I've done were pretty much nested inside a big brass fitting. Too bad the truck was down most of the winter that could have been handy.
Not really if it was just laying on the frame lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Vehicle maintenance day #2 was a rousing success! New throttle cable made all the difference, the resistance is ridiculously low on the new one made the old cable feel like it was bent over on itself (i got curious and opened up the sleeve and sure enough one broken strand right plum in the middle). Ran for about an hour between idle and cruising back streets around town before I shut her down and called it good, thanks again sir.

I would inspect and test the accelerator cable and throttle operating linkage for freedom of movement. Its best to release the end of the cable from the throttle lever and then check both for binding or sluggish operation while they are disconnected.

Sorry, no harm intended. Just love Eric Cartman's attitude.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117