Fuel filter vapor lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miky2295

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/v20
Engine Size
On my 86 c1500 I was having a fuel issue last year. I replaced the fuel pump (mechanical), all the rubber fuel lines, gas tank and sending unit nothing worked. Finally I replaced the fuel filter and it was a lot better. The problem is when it's first started the fuel filter is half full and as it warms up the if less and less fuel to the truck dies. The only thing in the fuel system the wasn't changed is the carb. My truck now seems to be doing it again any ideas?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Does it still have a Quadrajet by any chance? They have the little filter on the inside. Will it easily restart when it dies, restart with difficulty, or do you have to wait for it to cool? Otherwise, are you using a transparent plastic or glass filter to monitor flow? I would urge against that. Granted, it's nice to see how it's working, but the safety of a regular metal canister filter is unparalleled and unsurpassed. I've noticed that it seems like a superfluous suggestion to some people, but my view is why take a chance? Also, it sounds like you have a rubber fuel line in the engine bay. It's important that it's routed in the most cool path possible. If it's close to something that gets hot or really hot, that could be an issue. If none of these suggestions net any progress, I would do the ole fuel pickup out of a can test if it's 100% looking like a fuel problem. If you have fresh, clean fuel coming out of the can and it still has the problem, you can rule out anything rearward of the pump leaving you just the carb and pump to worry with and vice versa. I'd also have your ignition control module tested at the parts store and thoroughly check for any vacuum leaks (either visually and/or spraying starting fluid around key areas), especially the carb base gasket. In my mind, that should effectively rule out the spark and air components leaving you with just the fuel one to worry with.

miky2295

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/v20
Engine Size
The truck had a clear plastic fuel filter I replaced it with a glass one so I can still see the flow. The truck will not restart when it dies and does not have any fuel in the filter. Tried a hose into a gas can and still wouldn't pick up fuel. There hoses I replaced I ran them the same way they have been on years without problem. There is a Holley 450 carb on it. I've replaced all fuel components except the carb and filler neck. I know the problem is the fuel just don't know why I lose fuel when it gets warm

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, okay. Now I'd try unplugging the other side of the pump and see if fuel is leaving there out of the can. If not, it's gotta be the pump or something related to it (pushrod or eccentric). Where does your fuel line from the pump to the carb travel? Even if was the pump, I don't see how it could crap out when it was warm. The best way to discern what the pump's doing when you have the issue is to completely isolate it, I think.

miky2295

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10/v20
Engine Size
I think it's a vapor lock after the pump. So the fuel goes to the return line instead of up to the carb. I put 2 new pumps on it and they both did the same thing

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Try blocking the return line off and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88