Fuel cell plumbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I scored a 10 gallon fuel cell of CL for $25. It's perfect for my other project but will be used with my up coming restoration. I have dual tanks now on my '87 which I will not be utilizing anymore. There's still fuel in the working tank but since I have ditched the tbi and went to carb I will not be using the pumps in the tank and we will be mounting a rear tank while the bed is off.

Now I plan to use the cell I got by just putting it in the bed so I can drive over to the shop for disassembly. I noticed after the fact that it does not have a return line, only an output line and a vent tube. I bought an electric external fuel pump from Oreilys for $41 and some change and says it pulls at 3.5-7psi. Do I need a reurn line on the cell? If so how do I add one? Or if not needed how would you plumb that up?

Or
Can I just mount that pump somewhere inline before the selector valve and pull through the pumps in the tanks and use the existing lines with a regulator I have that has a return on it.

Or
Anyone good with wiring knowledge, since I cut all the wire harness for the tbi back to the firewall can I still use the fuel pumps? Is the computer needed to run the pumps? I know that they need the oil press switch in order to run.

I am at a loss with what to do is prefer to drive it over instead of towing it. Any and all forms of help or suggestions are appreciated.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
In general if you've taken the TBI off just forget that wiring it would be too much trouble to fool with. If you have a low pressure electric pump you really still should have a return but if your not driving it far put a regulator on it so you don't send to much pressure to the carb an it should be fine. Problem is it's hard on your fuel pump without a return and likely to vapor lock. You can get a special fuel line to help with vapor lock. Short distance is not a big concern though. The fuel gets hotter with no return. Just some thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
In general if you've taken the TBI off just forget that wiring it would be too much trouble to fool with. If you have a low pressure electric pump you really still should have a return but if your not driving it far put a regulator on it so you don't send to much pressure to the carb an it should be fine. Problem is it's hard on your fuel pump without a return and likely to vapor lock. You can get a special fuel line to help with vapor lock. Short distance is not a big concern though. The fuel gets hotter with no return. Just some thoughts.

Good thoughts thank you sir. I searched for a fuel line to help with vapor lock with minimal results. All I found was to add a return to help. Which I have a Holley regulator with a return. I am just unsure on how to plumb that up since the cell only has 2 ports on it. Out and vent. Can I just hook the return into the vent outlet and rig up another form of ventilation? Through the cap or just drill a hole and add a vent?

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Good thoughts thank you sir. I searched for a fuel line to help with vapor lock with minimal results. All I found was to add a return to help. Which I have a Holley regulator with a return. I am just unsure on how to plumb that up since the cell only has 2 ports on it. Out and vent. Can I just hook the return into the vent outlet and rig up another form of ventilation? Through the cap or just drill a hole and add a vent?

I would not use the vent line. If any thing just add an AN style fitting to the top of the tank and plum a return into it. Fast does have line that helps with vapor lock but I'm not sure it's advertised that way. Summit could help you.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Okay does that fitting need to be welded in or can I drill and tap it in? I'll contact them next week about the line.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
No need to weld. They have one made for your problem.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
It's called a bulkhead fitting

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
ah a true fuel cell has a bladder inside the sheet metal on the outside is only there to protect the bladder. highdesertranger

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I should also say that you want the return line to go too the bottom of the tank.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
ah a true fuel cell has a bladder inside the sheet metal on the outside is only there to protect the bladder. highdesertranger

Not always

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
then it's not a fuel cell, it's simply a fuel tank. highdesertranger