Front Sway Bar Brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are there spacers between the front brackets and the frame? I have new bushings - stock brackets. If you tighten the bolts to the point of almost stripping them, they dont even come close to sitting flush. I mic'd it at .260....heckuva lot of smush for a new bushing. A 1/4" spacer would be perfect.

Saw a similar thread to this but the gap issue was never mentioned of being fixed.

I do have the ORD drop kit too, btw.

THX

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
No spacers on mine. Are you sure you have the right bushings?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
No spacers from GM. Double check your bushings, there at least 2 style shapes maybe more. It's been a long time but, if I remember correctly, the OE brackets are rounded to somewhat surround the bushing and something is making me think the brackets changed through the years. Of course, there are also the style of bushing with a shoulder that is intended to have an aftermarket strap over it as opposed to the rounded OE bracket.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No spacers on mine. Are you sure you have the right bushings?
Yes. There are 2 sizes and these is it. Other size (I have both) wont fit on the bar or in the factory shells either.

I have seen other posts about the same thing - looking at my old pics, these were gapped when I got it too.....which is why I ordered new shells and bushings for this diameter bar.

I can make it work fine - just wondered if it was missing something (like with every other part of this truck) before I get all midevil on it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
want a pic of a 80 or 77 with front sway bar stuff

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes. There are 2 sizes and these is it. Other size (I have both) wont fit on the bar or in the factory shells either.

I have seen other posts about the same thing - looking at my old pics, these were gapped when I got it too.....which is why I ordered new shells and bushings for this diameter bar.

I can make it work fine - just wondered if it was missing something (like with every other part of this truck) before I get all midevil on it.
is the diameter of the bar taking up enough space to possibly shore up what you are asking

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's an image of mine. Its a 73 K10, you know that already If I remember right had the frame on jack stands to get it all lined up, that way I could finagle everything. And the shocks were last.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The originals are almost flat on the bottom. The replacement bushings (OE AC Dilberts to boot) are beveled. I sanded 1/8" off and was able to persuade the remaining 1/8" to obey. Its all good and explosives were not necessary.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I see you got it fixed but just to say it out loud, there are 2 diameter sway bars too.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Doppleganger,

I know you know this but so I can understand how, if you have the correct size bushing and didn't you say you are using the OE bushing shell, it bolts to the bracket and the bracket bolts to the frame. There may be a bit of a gap but as you tighten down on the shell it closes up that little gap around the bar. It should be tight. So tight that you can not move the bar inside the bushing. Of course don't forget to use silicone to lube the buishing inside around the bar. It prevents " sticksion". Is that how it's spelled? The bushing is there just to add cusion for the bar as it moves up and down with the lower A arm. What size is the bar, 1 1/4"? The later year trucks bars were larger in diameter. My '74 is a 1 1/16" Are you supposed to bolt the bushing shell up against the frame in your year truck? What did they do take the bracket out of the attachment? You should be bolting the bracket on the frame and then the bushing shell things with the bushings inside around the bar.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe mine is a 1-1/2" bar. The other bushing looks to be about a 1-1/4. Will check it again tomorrow. I did use the original shell - they are kind of rounded / cupped. The new bushings (AC Dilbert originals) are shaped for that shell perfectly. Only difference is the bottom / flat edge of the new bushing is beveled and too thick. The original is identical in shape other than the bottom is flat. Once I shaved / flattened down the new bushing, it bolted down flush on the frame.

Eibach used to make (lowered) springs and custom (larger) sways for several Euro cars. They always came with a syringe that was about 1/4 full of a sticky marine grease - to lube the sway bushings. I've had so many of them in the past I have several of these syringes - so thats what I use.

:hat:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It prevents " sticksion". Is that how it's spelled?

My OCD kinda compels me to answer this, and I'm going to point out that, you did ask....

It's a portmanteau word composed of "static" and "friction". So "stiction" is correct.

Now go look up portmanteau. ;)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
WHY AM I EVEN LISTENING TO YOU FOOLS? ENOUGH OF THIS MUTINOUS CHORUS! IF THERE'S A WORD I HATE, IT'S "MUTINY."

AND THE WORD "****," WHICH NEVER MADE ANY SENSE TO ME. IT'S RIDICULOUS, PUTTING "J" AND "SM" TOGETHER LIKE THAT. NONSENSE!

not serious btw just reminded me of this somehow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdk412