Frame welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have to do some welding on my frame. Besides the battery, what should I disconnect before I do? Don't want to fry anything! Thanks!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Hell I've never even munhooked the battery you'll be alright

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
My experience is on newer JD tractors all I ever disconnect is the negative cable and theres ton of electronics to cook on those. And i guess watch your fuel tank lol

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My experience is on newer JD tractors all I ever disconnect is the negative cable and theres ton of electronics to cook on those. And i guess watch your fuel tank lol

I'm gonna get a good welding blanket to cover it!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One thing to be careful of is where you locate your ground cable clamp - in relation to where the actual welding will be conducted. Avoid putting the ground clamp in a location where a ball/roller bearing (like the wheel bearings) would be in the path of the electrons as they flow from the stinger back to the ground lead. Ball/roller bearings are designed to have almost zero surface/surface with their races. They roll across the race on just a microscopic point of contact. The point is, as the current produced by the welding machine flows through the minimal surface area that exists in the bearing, they can get hot. If they get hot enough, the can become distorted.

Even worse, is if they are loose - I mean like loose enough that gaps exists between the races and rollers. The flow of electrons will arc as they cross the gaps and destroy the machined surfaces. Unlike the damage caused by heat building up, arcing will happen immediately - given the right conditions.

But if you are just welding on the frame - like doubler plates or filling cracks - neither of those things mentioned above should be an issue.

But do try and clamp the ground cable close to where the arc will be struck. Taking it to the extreme, if you grounded the machine back at the rear end (say to a frame rail crossmember or bumper bracket) and then dragged your stinger to the front end to do the hot work.

Your passes will get better penetration because of the reduced resistance - without cranking the heat up. Using that reduced amperage will give you more control over the weld. The beads will be more uniform and the final result will look and perform like a professional job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d