Frame Damaged!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Began my Ls swap this weekend, and found some disturbing mods on the frame. The truck looked straight when I bought it. Unfortunately I didn't do a thorough enough inspection when buying it so this is on me. What are my options? What other frames are similar to mine? Does anyone make frame sections? 87 chevy short bed 2wd.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
It looks like a poorly executed frame repair at the least. A good welder could redo it, and use the pre-manufactured frame frame repair parts that are available. I've never seen this on a 2x before... usually a 4x4 with big tires and aggressive driving is where we see frame damage.

Did you get a chance to drive this truck? If so, how did it drive? Just wondering if everything is straight...

Ccardenas87

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I was only able to drive it for about 10 yards due to the throttle issues it had. Then winched it up the trailer. Do you know where I might dig up frame repair parts?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you want to get rid of the ugliness and replace the frame section, look at some local junkyards and purchase the section you need. Factory holes and rivets can help on replacing the section. Just remember to use factory measurements when final welding needed. Or you can find a complete frame and swap everything over.

You could take it to a frame shop/body shop and have them do measurements to see how far out of spec the damage is and if its very minimal you can have it properly repaired or fix it yourself. Since the front clip is off this may or may not make it easier for the shop (not sure). I would think it would be easier though and if the engine/trans was out even better.

Which ever you decide its best to do it now and be happier knowing that its fixed/repaired correctly.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Off Road Design has 2 repair kits. You probably only need the weld in patch as you'll probably never stress the frame hard from steering like a 4x4 but the bolt in brace might be good insurance if your rail is jacked up real bad.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
one of the pos that owned my dually welded everything he could to the frame. built a bumper for it, he welded the brackets to the frame. then tack welded the nuts to the bolts. then he tacked the crossmembers to the frame, and tacked the nuts to the rest of the bolts. what a huge mess. its great undoing someones mess. guess it my mess now, lol.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Any good frame shop would want to at least section that frame. I would not have attempted to fix that when I was in the frame shop. Easiest thing is to find a donor frame. Is is easier and should save you some money with the front clip already off. Frame shop might want to have the clip available to be sure everything lined up well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd remove the steering box and cut out the plate on the back, to get a better idea of exactly how fubared it is. It can be really hard finding a good shortbed frame.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I wonder if the truck was wrecked in that area at some point and had a frame section from another truck welded on at some point. Unless in the 80's they started bolting that front crossmember in, both of my trucks however are riveted on making me think that it was completely cut off, as like others I have not really heard of 2wd's cracking at that area. If I were you I'd take the steering box off and take the inner plate brace off and like bucket suggested see how bad it really is. Grind down those welds and see if they are any good, If they are then get a brace kit and weld it over it, and if those welds are no good then 'v' the weld out in the cracked area and reweld it nicely and then brace kit.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think @Swims350 had mentioned he once had a C10 with a cracked steering box area. It's rare, but it apparently happens on a 2wd.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I think @Swims350 had mentioned he once had a C10 with a cracked steering box area. It's rare, but it apparently happens on a 2wd.
I cracked my '78 heavy Half... but I ran 32" tires and regularly jumped that truck. Ripped shock mounts off...
I need to post some pics.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea we sure did, got it for parts, was a 78 2wd straight 6 auto and it had a wooden bed with side tool boxes made in it, and it was broke at the box, couldn't even tow it very easy with a tow bar lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1