Flip Front Seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
Anybody know why the front bench seat in my 73 Sierra does NOT flip or fold forward? I know some of the other trucks have a flip or fold mechanism. Can't seem to find that on my truck??

The only way to get behind the front seat is to move the seat as far forward as possible to get behind it and even then you really cannot get behind it??

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i think the crew cab trucks and the suburbans had seats that didnt flip. maybe some one changed it out

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I think they must have been an option at some point. My 75 K20 isn't equipped with one.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
This is exactly why that post by Chengny on the thread "Did my truck come this way" needs to be pinned someplace.

In 1975, GM changed its model line around a little. Custom line is dropped and Custom Deluxe becomes base model. Cheyenne Super is replaced by Silverado as top trim level. Upper trim levels receive brushed aluminum panels on tailgate. Scottsdale line is also added to the 1975 line-up. On the interior, the windshield wiper switch location is no longer back lit like the '73 & '74 models were, not to mention the switch itself is in a slightly different location, thus making the '75 and up dash bezels slightly different. Rain gutters are now standard equipment on all models as is the new quick release tailgate for the fleetside models...and a new folding seatback option is now available.

It wasn't an option until '75.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
the seat in my 74 folds forward. I know its the original seat, gramps didn't spend any money on things like a different seat when he could just duct tape this one and cover it with a seat cover.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
LO
the seat in my 74 folds forward. I know its the original seat, gramps didn't spend any money on things like a different seat when he could just duct tape this one and cover it with a seat cover.
LOL

Submariner592

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My 1978 C20 didn't come with that either. I removed (2) of the (4) retaining screws holding the back in place, I also think I had to trim the upholstery flap covering them a bit. It was a safety thing to prevent it from flopping forward unless you had the factory catch lever. Now it folds forward. It really opened up a lot of storage back there

Submariner592

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I should also add, that I did change the upholstery on the seat and ordered the type with (2) separate covers ( bottom and back) so it looks good after I cut the upholstery in order to make it flip forward.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You're correct on it being an option in 1975. When I bought my '75, I was very pleased to have the folding back rest. There is considerable storage there as well as under the seat.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Funny how having a release to let them fold was an extra cost option, but the later ones just flop over with a push. Seems like an engineering solution to a non-problem.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
Any pictures of the locking mechanism on the seat?

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
My 1978 C20 didn't come with that either. I removed (2) of the (4) retaining screws holding the back in place, I also think I had to trim the upholstery flap covering them a bit. It was a safety thing to prevent it from flopping forward unless you had the factory catch lever. Now it folds forward. It really opened up a lot of storage back there

I think I will try that!

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
I think I will try that!

Which retaining screws did you remove the only thing I see on my truck is the ones in the photo, with my finger pulling back the material. Is there a different set of retaining screws you are referring to?

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef