Flighty steering, what to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ive noticed since buying the truck that the steering just seems very flighty or loose. I understand its a 30 year old truck, but still it seems excessive to me. I have a good 3-4" of back and forth sway in the wheel for general driving adjustments. So, having that said, what are the usual suspects that I should be looking for to replace etc? I also bought a stabilizer to add but I'd like to get it tightened up first before adding that.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I would suggest you check all suspension and steering parts for wear, tie rods, idler arm, etc.
Adjust the steering gear box.
Wheels straight ahead, loosen the locknut and hold loose with a wrench while you tighten the adjuster screw (either a slotted screw or allen head). Don't crank down tight on the adjuster screw, very lightly snug is all you want to go, then hold the adjuster at that spot while you tighten the locknut.
I found on my K10 the pinch bolt that holds the pittman arm to the steering box had come a tad loose and I was all over the road.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Front wheel bearings tight?

Especially noticeable at highway speeds. I had one that - if I was distracted for even a moment - I could be two lanes over.

Went through every single front end part - all tight. Finally checked the bearings. They were maybe a 1/4 turn loose. But that was it. Brought them up snug and after that - the truck almost drove itself.

Just a possiblity.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Steering rag joint is where i'd start

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll have a look at them all.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Ive noticed since buying the truck that the steering just seems very flighty or loose. I understand its a 30 year old truck, but still it seems excessive to me. I have a good 3-4" of back and forth sway in the wheel for general driving adjustments. So, having that said, what are the usual suspects that I should be looking for to replace etc? I also bought a stabilizer to add but I'd like to get it tightened up first before adding that.

alittle tip that a wise man once told me, if you put a new stablilzer on sometimes it will mask a bigger problem that you have, not saying your going to do this just wanted to give a heads up

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not putting the stabilizer on until I have it sorted out and working well.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
check the bolts on your steering box and make sure they are tight. Square bodies are known for the steering box mounting holes to crack. Mine was the same way when I bought it. Turns out there's evidence of some welding on the backside of the frame where they did a repair....and didnt do it very well.

If they are loose, tighten them down and drive it for a few days maybe a week. If the looseness shows up again, further investigation is needed and possibly a frame brace for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man