How to adjust the steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
My steering wheel sits skewed to the left, in order for the truck to drive straight. If you straighten the wheel, it starts going right. I remember this being a simple adjustment, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Something about those collars on the tie rod ends. The truck is 87 2wd. The usual youtube search didn't yield any results this time. Thank you

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Yeah, you loosen the collars on the tubes, turn the drivers side 1/4 turn in the opening direction and turn the passengers side in the closing direction. IOW, make the distance between tie rod ends on drivers side farther and passengers side closer. 1/4 to 1/2 turn applied to each in equal measure will get you close. I always suggest putting any vehicle on a reputable alignment rack in your area to verify the wheels are in fact aligned.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Also pop off the center cap on the steering wheel and take a look at the threaded shaft under the nut. It is possible that someone in the past has tried to center the steering wheel by just popping it off and remounting on the shaft.
My steering shaft has a very small notch in it under the edge of the nut, and it should be oriented straight up, relative to the steering wheel. It keeps the steering mechanism oriented so that it self-centers when you return from a left or right turn, and it also makes the turn signal self-canceling work properly.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah, you loosen the collars on the tubes, turn the drivers side 1/4 turn in the opening direction and turn the passengers side in the closing direction. IOW, make the distance between tie rod ends on drivers side farther and passengers side closer. 1/4 to 1/2 turn applied to each in equal measure will get you close. I always suggest putting any vehicle on a reputable alignment rack in your area to verify the wheels are in fact aligned.
If he checks toe before he starts and make sure it matches afterwards his alignment will be the same as before he started,but to tell you the truth I learned what Radiohead said from a different tech,decades ago. If He'd pull one off the rack test drive it and the wheel wasn't centered that's what he did,and I started doing the same thing,never even put them back on the rack. You know threads are measured in threads per inch so measuring turns is actually very accurate.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Also pop off the center cap on the steering wheel and take a look at the threaded shaft under the nut. It is possible that someone in the past has tried to center the steering wheel by just popping it off and remounting on the shaft.My steering shaft has a very small notch in it under the edge of the nut, and it should be oriented straight up, relative to the steering wheel. It keeps the steering mechanism oriented so that it self-centers when you return from a left or right turn, and it also makes the turn signal self-canceling work properly.

I've heard of people doing that before, and I'm not sure how it is on the older trucks, but my steering wheel has a notch which will only allow it to go on one way. Trying to adjust the wheel itself wouldn't work in this case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod