fitech install om 77 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I can freshen up my motor and tranny for less than what they get for some of those EFI setups.:D

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would still like to know if there is an external pump option, like the one I posted earlier.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just thought of another reason why a surge tank is a great idea..

With in-tank EFI pumps, you have to keep them submerged in gasoline or they will overheat and fail, requiring replacement.. They are NOT cheap...

This happened to me twice on my 2001 Chevy express G1500 (currently sitting up on blocks for over 2 years now because I simply could not afford the $3000 to replace the catalytic converters).. as a result, I always kept at least 1/3rd of the tank full (anything under 1/4 tank is tempting fate, especially in the summer months).. This essentially reduces the true capacity of EFI equipped fuel tanks by 25%...

But with a surge tank, you can use the full volume of the tank.. The pump in the surge tank will always be submersed, and even more so than the in-tank kind..

Even if you ran out of gas in the main tank, you'd only be exposing the surge tank pump to an unprotected condition for a few miles and as such the risk of destroying it would be much less than the same condition with an in-tank pump... 10-15 miles, vs 60-90 miles or more... a few minutes in potentially damaging circumstances vs an hour or two...

Just something else to consider... This is also true of a frame rail mounted pump vs an in-tank model...

FI pumps are not cheap.... It hurts when they fail... Not to mention that replacing them is much more of a pain in the ass with an in-tank style pump...

$3000??? Seriously? Why not get a set of universal cats for like $60 each?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Pricey, I was hoping the one I posted would work.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
$3000??? Seriously? Why not get a set of universal cats for like $60 each?

I live in Commiefornya...

Guvna Brown was upset that some people were cheating and not putting the right converters for the vehicle in when they needed replacing (read: some smog mechanics lobby or environmental lobby contributed to his campaign), so he created a new regulation a few years ago, that requires all replacement cats to have a 'stamped' EO number (Executive Order) that is coded to the specific vehicle...

Smog stations are required to 'look' (they use a little mirror with wheels and a long handle they run under the car/truck)

Well of course this requires special tooling, and cats that are state specific, so they only manufactured them for the ones that they knew they would sell a lot of.. If you have something not so common, well, you're SOL...

My van is a heavy duty version of a V6... So it has the dual cat system like the V8's do, but a V6.. Most of the V6 vans had a single cat system... As a result, no manufacturer went through the expense and hassle of creating a CA approved converter for my van...

As such, I have to buy OEM cats from the dealer.. They only sell them as a complete exhaust system..

$2500 plus tax, plus 4 O2 sensors, plus gasket kit, etc... all comes out to around $2900..

So someday, when I get the money, I will buy the exhaust system and get her smogged again.. In the mean time, I bought me a pre smog chevy truck that allows me to show Guvna Brown the middle finger, and the end result is I'm driving something that creates 10 times the emissions of that van..

As usual, the govt shoots itself in the foot with it's commie style regulations which do 'nothing' but chase people and business out of the state, and cause the rest who stay to find ways to make them stick it where the sun don't shine...

I've got six vehicles, 3 of which are sitting here on blocks because of one form of punitive registration regulation or another... a fourth one (the square body) is in process of becoming my daily driver...

So, when the Suzuki sidekick blew a head gasket last November, I've been without transpo (even though I have 2 perfectly roadworthy trucks) while I work on my 'up yours' frankenstein truck... and there ain't no buses where I live.. It's 10 miles to the nearest store or gas station of any kind.. and I'm fed up...

Can't stand the commies running this state.. Which is why (among a long list of other reasons, not the least of which is the war on the 2nd amendment and the lack of any representation) we up here in the far north of the state are pushing 'very' hard to separate from the idiots running the metro areas and Sacramento, and create the 51st state... The state of Jefferson

RANT OVER (for now)...:gr_guns:

PS, I hear NY and a couple other NE states like the idea and are about to follow suit...

:cheers:

Last edited:

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
california is a smog **** state. but there are loopholes,

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, live in a smog free area, LOL..

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yep, only have to do it once on new owner transfer on 76 and newer that's it you're done, no more smog checks..

What he said and THERE ARE SMOG EXEMPT COUNTY IN CALIFORNIA. NO MATTER WHAT THE DMV SAYS

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Any updates

Buying the 600 hp version with comand ctr this month for my bday ..thx wifey..going on 454

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Buying the 600 hp version with comand ctr this month for my bday ..thx wifey..going on 454

make sure to get a timing light and reset the timing. my main problem was with the timing being off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne