factory temp gauge wire color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i have a 86 k20 and the harness is the original too. i want to get rid of the aftermarket sunpro temp gauge and make the factory one work. What is the color wire i should be looking for on my harness that would control that gauge??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM calls it dark green, but I'd just call it green. Dumpster Green perhaps.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks guys, set it up and the gauge donest move after the truck runs for 45 min. hummmmmm

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
use a test light or wire and ground it to the engine. Gauge should peg high. If not, then either a broken wire or gauge is faulty. I would guess since someone went through the trouble to put new gauge elsewhere, gauge is gone. Or I guess the sender could go bad but I doubt it.

jimmy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
5.7l
use a test light or wire and ground it to the engine. Gauge should peg high. If not, then either a broken wire or gauge is faulty. I would guess since someone went through the trouble to put new gauge elsewhere, gauge is gone. Or I guess the sender could go bad but I doubt it.
Revive an old one but.
I’ve been chasing wires from po and so far all the factory gauges are still working minus the tach (still troubleshooting)
My green wire is routed to the passenger side of the block and left dangling. Moving it to the drivers side and connecting to sensor or drivers side of block.
Some people add aftermarket gauges because it’s either easier or they think it’s cool. I personally like factory

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have the factory gauge, but a ‘75 OEM gauge has no degree markings, just lines, and the original GM ‘75 sending units are no longer stocked. My current sending unit is the closest match I could get to the original. I added a mechanical gauge so I could cross-check and get the actual temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising