Factory tachometer installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
I'm sure this has been covered, I did a search and nothing came up. I was wondering if it's possible to install a factory tachometer where the fuel gauge is or possibly where the clock would go. I could just mount one externally too that would be a much cheaper route to go too. My trucks a 1986 and it doesn't have a clock installed. I was just curious if any 86 models had a factory tachometer and how it's arranged in the gauge cluster.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Holy crap that's spensive! Lol but nice looking

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks J Knight, for the link. That's definitely an option, and I like the stock look.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
This is what it looks like installed in my truck.

Attachments

• IMAG0360.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,128

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
That looks very nice and looks stock which is what I prefer. How was the install fairly easy?

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks, I actually did find the thread you mentioned. I'll have to give it some thought. I might try mounting a small 2" tach where the clock goes since it's blank there anyway.
Thanks again!
Joe

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Here's what the factory tach looked like in '87.

In my case the clock is digital, in the radio (cassette player).

K

You must be registered for see images attach

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks for the photo, that's another option. That looks nice too!

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Thanks for the photo, that's another option. That looks nice too!

It's not really another option... Factory tach is a rare option to begin with, and even more rare (see: extremely rare) after 81 or so. If you are lucky to find one in a junkyard, (and you will need to be extremely lucky) chances are it's busted, and repairing that is going to cost you - maybe not $215 (price of gm sports salvage) but consider the time and inconvenience of hoping/wishing you'll find a factory tach, and one that works. Plus, you'll then have to figure out what to do with the fuel gauge - either get that full cluster from junkyard, then do some splicing to hook up to your 86 harness... or wiring in just the small fuel gauge (but will your cluster/faceplate bezel (black thing) accept it?)... etc. etc. you'll still have to splice in power and ground for the gauge since your cluster is not wired for it.
This aftermarket tach fits right into existing holes and draws power/ground from fuel gauge, while adding a small fuel gauge below. Very easy, very convenient, stock-looking.

Yes, it is expensive, but if you want a stock/factory look, the gm sports salvage option is the way to go.

Side note: I'm sure they're making a good amount off these tachs, since it is literally a printed sticker with tach and fuel hash marks that they just slapped on a plastic (not metal) tach gauge. (But don't let that fool you, it still looks great as you can see from the earlier post)

Did mine recently, it turned out great:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Dang, I wish I had known that a factory tach was rare. I had an '85 Silverado fleetside with a combined tach and fuel gauge.

Have you all seen the new Vintage gauges from LMC? Looks pretty nice. Full cluster for $850.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks adamj for the information, it sounds like the one from gm sports salvage the way to go. I thought about mounting a small tach in the opening where the clock goes but I'm not sure if that will mount in there correctly, if at all.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Thanks adamj for the information, it sounds like the one from gm sports salvage the way to go. I thought about mounting a small tach in the opening where the clock goes but I'm not sure if that will mount in there correctly, if at all.

I have done one in the clock spot and it was ok. Not perfect, but good enough for the purpose.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
That looks good, how did you mount it in there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody