Exploring Exhaust Note Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I need to make a few adjustments to my exhaust. I’ve got a leak, sounds like a donut gasket at the manifold. My tips exit at an angle from the back, and I don’t like it. I want to adjust that final bend from a 45* angle to a 90* one where they point straight to the side. Finally, I want new mufflers. I’ve got two different mufflers on it now, but I’ve been trying to find what I’d like my sound to be like. I found a clip that sounds like what I’m looking for. I guess my ideal sound would file away under a glasspacky timbre, but I don’t want anything too loud. Just something that accentuates how good an SBC sounds and that’ll give me a consistent note instead of two different ones. Any suggestions on brands, models, or anything else would be appreciated. That Porter is sounding pretty good, though. At least to me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Without any exhaust leaks, a run of the mill turbo would sound good. Depending on your location, if you're required to have cats on a vehicle you're age, those would soften the noise and prob give you what you're looking for, assuming the raspy deep flowmax isn't your cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For reference, I had true duals without cats and had 20" glass packs. Replaced them with a random set of turbos and the noise in the cab was almost gone but still had a nice sound when outside. I can ALMOST sneak away. Although not quite.... If that helps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That '64 sounds really good, imho. A definite glasspack sound, but a bit on the mild side. What do those Porter's look like? That sounds so close to my Dad's old '66 283, with unknown brand mufflers. They looked like short and fat glasspacks, and there was no paint on them. Whatever they were, they were more mild sounding than my '69 327 with farm store glasspacks.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

These are 26” overall length. They also have truck mufflers that are $70 more, but I couldn’t find a difference between the two.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My Pop put some Thrush glasspacks on his truck and ran it out the back, it sounds cool and he said it quieted down inside the cab quite a bit from when he had them dump at the axle, and even then it wasn't incredibly loud, just had a nice rumble to it. Not sure how long they were, maybe the 24 inchers.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Glasspacks sound good to me. If your thinking glasspacks equals loud thats because most people use short ones, the longer the glasspack the more quiet.

https://cherrybomb.com/project/glasspack/

Paid $40 for the one on my Ford Ranger and $60 for the one on my Suburban from Amazon and a local shop cut the old one out and welded it in for $60

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like that Biscayne, but I know from experience pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels will be very loud inside. Unfortunately I did that to the family Impala back in the day, and it was so bad I drove back to the muffler shop a few hours later to have tailpipes installed. Same mufflers but much quieter inside, and I think even outside.

About your car: If your pipes make a 90 degree bend and point straight to the sides, the noise will bounce off parked cars and curbs and sound like a 4-cyl tractor when you're in the drivers seat with the window down. Not to mention splattering black-tinted condensation on cabinet doors, walls, bikes, etc. on cold startup. I highly suggest angling the tips down at a 45 degree angle, and rearward at 45 degrees. JMHO.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I am partial to Flowmasters.
They produce the sound that I like the most.
We have a single 3 inch 2 chamber 40 series on our family 1995 Suburban.
It sounds pretty good and beefy even with it having a high flow cat in the system as well.

Under my 1979 truck.
It will be getting headers and all new dual exhaust in a month or so.
I already have a set of the 40 series mufflers in 2-1/2" for it.
I will also have to either replace or reuse the cats that are under there.
The cats help remove the "raspberries" as I call them to produce a deep and menacing tone, plus I have to have them under there.

If you don't like the 40 series sound, you can always step up to the 50 series 3 chamber mufflers for a quieter tone.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I like that Biscayne, but I know from experience pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels will be very loud inside. Unfortunately I did that to the family Impala back in the day, and it was so bad I drove back to the muffler shop a few hours later to have tailpipes installed. Same mufflers but much quieter inside, and I think even outside.

About your car: If your pipes make a 90 degree bend and point straight to the sides, the noise will bounce off parked cars and curbs and sound like a 4-cyl tractor when you're in the drivers seat with the window down. Not to mention splattering black-tinted condensation on cabinet doors, walls, bikes, etc. on cold startup. I highly suggest angling the tips down at a 45 degree angle, and rearward at 45 degrees. JMHO.

This is a good suggestion on the exit. I don’t want it front of the rear wheels. In the Jimmy, that’d be almost under my seat. Why do you like it turned down?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I am partial to Flowmasters.
They produce the sound that I like the most.
We have a single 3 inch 2 chamber 40 series on our family 1995 Suburban.
It sounds pretty good and beefy even with it having a high flow cat in the system as well.

Under my 1979 truck.
It will be getting headers and all new dual exhaust in a month or so.
I already have a set of the 40 series mufflers in 2-1/2" for it.
I will also have to either replace or reuse the cats that are under there.
The cats help remove the "raspberries" as I call them to produce a deep and menacing tone, plus I have to have them under there.

If you don't like the 40 series sound, you can always step up to the 50 series 3 chamber mufflers for a quieter tone.

I’ll have to revisit the 50 series sound clips. The Jimmy didn’t come to me with cats, but I cut those out anyway. I know what you’re saying about helping to take the edges off the sound. It’s a good idea, especially if you’re required to have them.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I like the 50 series for some cars.
Summit has some decent knockoff Flowmasters that are fairly inexpensive.
Perhaps those can be an option as well.

As for how mine will exit.
I will have them hopefully in a similar location as they were on my old Nova.
Just peeking out and down from behind the bed.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
When my partner and I had our shop he got all his exhaust stuff from a place in Helix Oregon NW of Pendleton Now they are in Athena Oregon and better known as Diamond Eye Manufacturing. They had what they called FLOPRO mufflers, full welded cans in almost any configuration that looked like Flow Masters and sounded real good. I have a set on my Corvette that work really good and sound good ,too Were not to expensive compared to the Flowmasters.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like the 50 series for some cars.
Summit has some decent knockoff Flowmasters that are fairly inexpensive.
Perhaps those can be an option as well.

As for how mine will exit.
I will have them hopefully in a similar location as they were on my old Nova.
Just peeking out and down from behind the bed.

Cool Rally Nova! Did it have the LT-1 350?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cool Rally Nova! Did it have the LT-1 350?

Thanks!
It was an original straight six car.
When I got it from a buddy, it was built for learning how to bracket race at the local dragstrip.
The owner had a nervous breakdown and I picked it up for dirt cheap.
It was a mild 350 that would run low 14's all day long.

I sold it to a 15 year old kid many years ago.
It has long since been turned into a full boogie low 10's drag monster.
He still has it and races it each year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man