Exhaust single to dual on a tight budget - Then we get into some after issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just throwing this out there- Engine Masters did a low buck muffler shootout under x amount of dollars. I’ll see if I can find a You Tube link. Of note, they talk about sound levels if I remember correctly.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You know that spark plug insulation sleeve stuff? Works great on fuel line right there.
I didn't even talk about it in my other post. I'm missing my tank switch cover, well the truck was a factory single tank truck so actually never had one. I'm less concerned about the tank switch valve, proximity to the exhaust than I am the dump bed pump, mainly because the DB pump will likely only have a few inches of clearance, the hydraulic hose is sure to actually make physical contact with the tail pipe. I think the biggest concern with the fuel stuff is vapor locking and heat degradation over time. I had not thought about using spark plug wire heat insulation on the fuel lines, certainly I'll be putting it on any lines that look susceptible to the exhaust heat. Thanks for that.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Straight pipes and ear plugs. Next
Well I wouldn't have to ever worry about hearing the engine pinging!

In all seriousness though two things I'm going to do. If I can have the dual exhaust system be quiet enough for me, I'll be putting cats on as soon as I can afford it, like the first part of December. And the other thing I'm going to hang onto my Y-pipe so if I decide this dual system sucks, I'll have the Y-pipe and be able to go back to a single system in the future if needed.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As I recall, Walker SoundFX mufflers are "necked down" internally, as much as 1/2". I would stick with the Thrush mufflers.

I did my 82 C10 using a mandrel-bent kit from Heartthrob. Had to make a few mods, but I'd still recommenced it. I bought it from one of their dealers who had it on sale, plus they had a discount for Veterans. You can choose from tailpipes that exit in the stock location or under the bumper. My kit came with terrible stock replacement mufflers, but you can order the kit w/o them.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
As I recall, Walker SoundFX mufflers are "necked down" internally, as much as 1/2". I would stick with the Thrush mufflers.

I did my 82 C10 using a mandrel-bent kit from Heartthrob. Had to make a few mods, but I'd still recommenced it. I bought it from one of their dealers who had it on sale, plus they had a discount for Veterans. You can choose from tailpipes that exit in the stock location or under the bumper. My kit came with terrible stock replacement mufflers, but you can order the kit w/o them.
Yea, that's the thing on my current single exhaust I'm running a Walker SoundFX and it's the Walker OEM replacement for the truck and they list an SoundFX for the duel setup. No doubt the turbos will flow better, I just don't know how much of a trade off there is in sound. Well I've got the thrush turbos sitting on the floor so I'll be finding out. The pipe kit came in this afternoon, so I'll open the box and make sure it's all there and fits together. Then I will get rolling on the install tomorrow. My plan is to start with the front working side to side that way if I run out of time I can always run home and back the following day without tail piles if I have too. Hopefully I'll be able to get the entire thing done in one sitting, but that never seems to be my luck. I'll clamp it all together initially, but once I'm happy with where the pipes are and the mufflers it'll all get welded.

In some ways I'd like to do pipes straight out under the bumper as that usually puts the least amount of noise and exhaust in the interior, but the cheap kit only comes with pipes out the side behind the rear wheels, which is great since that is the traditional way these trucks had their tailpipes and there is a lot of traditional stuff on my truck.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yea, that's the thing on my current single exhaust I'm running a Walker SoundFX and it's the Walker OEM replacement for the truck and they list an SoundFX for the duel setup. No doubt the turbos will flow better, I just don't know how much of a trade off there is in sound. Well I've got the thrush turbos sitting on the floor so I'll be finding out. The pipe kit came in this afternoon, so I'll open the box and make sure it's all there and fits together. Then I will get rolling on the install tomorrow. My plan is to start with the front working side to side that way if I run out of time I can always run home and back the following day without tail piles if I have too. Hopefully I'll be able to get the entire thing done in one sitting, but that never seems to be my luck. I'll clamp it all together initially, but once I'm happy with where the pipes are and the mufflers it'll all get welded.

In some ways I'd like to do pipes straight out under the bumper as that usually puts the least amount of noise and exhaust in the interior, but the cheap kit only comes with pipes out the side behind the rear wheels, which is great since that is the traditional way these trucks had their tailpipes and there is a lot of traditional stuff on my truck.

With the pipes coming out under the bumper, you get fumigated trying to hook up a trailer. It does indeed sound better though when driving in most situations.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
With the pipes coming out under the bumper, you get fumigated trying to hook up a trailer. It does indeed sound better though when driving in most situations.
Yup, BTDT! I want to run the tailpipes out the corners on my crew cab. Right now, they stop just past the axle. Probably got chopped off since it was a farm truck.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That's actually a really good point. I've towed my 18' trailer a handful of times when staying very locally with my 96' Jeep GC when I was going somewhere I knew maneuverability would be problematic. It has one single pipe out the back and yea she'll fumigate you during trailer hook up. I got the pipes and kind of laid them out at the end of the day. No after work time tonight, so I'll be working on it tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to get in early and work on it before hours.

So I've got the pipes, I've got the Thrush mufflers and we'll see if I do or don't like them. I think I have all the clamps and hangers I'll need. I have a heat shield I planned to install between the right side muffler and the bed lift pump, but now I have an issue.

This is the shield:
You must be registered for see images attach

I wrongfully assumed that it had some attachment method like a metal band clamp, but it does not. What the heck am I suppose to do tack weld it to the muffler? There are no legs on the other side it simply is a hunk of corrugated metal. I could tack it at each corrugation. I think for the moment I'm not worried about running it without a shield, but on a hot summer day in traffic, or in a field idling, or towing..... I just want to make sure I don't kill the pump from the heat over time.

Same thing goes for the fuel tank valve, not terribly concerned about it at the moment, but at least with that being mounted under the cab I can fab up a heat shield to attach to the cab, close to the valve.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Oh, maybe I could attach that shield to the pump somehow instead of the muffler.... I'll have to think on that some.
Yup, make up some sort of bracketry to hang off the dangly parts you want shielded. Unless you welded some bracketry to the muffler. Either way, you have this. Pictures please.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROGERDODGER