Exhaust ideas!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Need advice on exhaust, as far as exhaust I have true duals but oddly enough one pipe runs over the trans crossmember, one runs under it on passenger side. I'm trying to decide if I should do single exhaust with a y pipe or keep it true duals? I'm wanting to redo the exhaust since the back half is trashed from the mufflers to the tails. But not sure which is best, will add headers sometime but do know I'd like to do 2.5in but not sure wether or not I want to do side exit exhaust or duals out each side, I'm partial to single but am torn between ideas! Any info or help would be appreciated!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im running 2.5" duals both over the transmission cross member lol. I like mine. I had a 305 with a Y pipe and a single 2.5" system and it worked great too. I think if you do go a single Y use 3" at least from the Y back.

But I think if I were to do it again I would do dual 2.5 with an H pipe. Maybe even an X pipe if I had my own bender.

On a stock 350 2.25" would work very well too.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mines more a daily driver, but it's just too quiet, I don't want cackling exhaust but I want more muscle car, just not sure if I should do single exhaust or not, My truck is so quiet that I can't hear it in the cab, died on me one day and I didn't even feel it

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I would love to have my trucks so quiet I can't hear them in the cab. What muffler are you using? I want that style/brand for each of my trucks.

As far as the exhaust I would suggest 2.5" single. They came factory like that and there is plenty of power produced. I never wanted single exhaust until I got my '81, and now I don't ever want duals again unless the vehicle already has duals, which I would add an x or h pipe to provide the scavenging needed for the exhaust to be expelled efficiently. And for duals I would suggest 2" max unless you're producing huge amounts (400+) of horsepower. I've seen a chart somewhere, cannot recall where at the moment, but it breaks-down what size pipe to run with different horsepower numbers.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll check this week on the mufflers it's true duals with stock manifolds a d I'm guessing about 2" or so exhaust into what I think are walker brand mufflers. Will get pics if I can

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'll check this week on the mufflers it's true duals with stock manifolds a d I'm guessing about 2" or so exhaust into what I think are walker brand mufflers. Will get pics if I can

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
for each pipe size:

Pipe Diameter (inches) Pipe Area (in2) Total CFM (est.) Max HP Per Pipe Max HP For A Dual Pipe System
1 1/2 1.48 171 78 155
1 5/8 1.77 203 92 185
1 3/4 2.07 239 108 217
2.00 2.76 318 144 289
2 1/4 3.55 408 185 371
2 1/2 4.43 509 232 463
2 3/4 5.41 622 283 566
3 6.49 747 339 679
3 1/4 7.67 882 401 802
3 1/2 8.95 1029 468 935

Ya so for a slightly modified engine 2 3/4" or 3" for a single system or 2 or 2 1/4" for duals

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would say if you want to go to headers at some point in the future at which point you will be replacing the down pipes I would run a pair of nie super turbo mufflers and either find a set of tail pipes or go out the side in front of the wheels. If it were me I would go out the sides in front of the wheels to keep the cost down and run a pair of Thrush turbo mufflers.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know you want 2.5 but I have a 2.25 duel kit form hooker that I am going to be installing with there matching headers and mufflers and like the kit a lot. The pipes are mandrel bent and very nice. They also have a kit for stock exhaust manifolds. Its not cheep for the pipes but there very well made as far as the bends go. I have not fitted it yet so I cant tell ya on that. If your looking for quiet I would match the pipe with some flow master 50 series mufflers. You will have to cut the rear sections of the pipe to shorten a little cuz the 50 is a longer muffler than what the kit is designed for but there is a lot of strait pipe directly behind the muffler if the pipes need shortened.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 40 series muffler. I've used a company before called jones performance, knock off of flow aster 40, but sounds better and is actually better made in my opinion plus it's only $40 bucks a muffler. I don't want obnoxious but I used these on my 03 Dodge Ram and my 11 challenger and they both sounded exactly how I wanted them! Lol

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 40 series muffler. I've used a company before called jones performance, knock off of flow aster 40, but sounds better and is actually better made in my opinion plus it's only $40 bucks a muffler. I don't want obnoxious but I used these on my 03 Dodge Ram and my 11 challenger and they both sounded exactly how I wanted them! Lol

I have heard of them. They make some cool stuff. The turbo tube mufflers are awesome too!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
To be honest george , 5 to 8lbs torque gain with a mild motor you are not going to notice when mashing the skinny petal , so I would not worry about pipe size , (unless we are talking about something else) anyway go for a sound that you like . I had a friend that owned an exhaust shop so I got to play in there often , (years ago) and me and all of my buddies ran 2" pipe on all of our junk. I had a 9to1 rv cammed smallblock built for my square and used the same exhaust with headers and 40 flows . Got bored one day and ran out , got two new 40 flows and went up to 2 1/2 inch pipe , same headers and the truck sounded way better , deeper idle sound and less rappy at high rpm , so now all my junk getts headers and 2 1/2" exhaust for mild motor's and I could not feel any performance loss or gain. So I would go for your favorite sound all the way and routing has a lot to do with sound as well. I always went over the back axle and went 45 degree's down , sound off the asphalt sounds way better than free air imo. I dont have any pic's because my computer hit the dirt but my blazer with a mild motor sounds mean.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Going to talk to a guy in town who is starting his own exhaust shop as a side hobby, I'm still trying to decide on single or dual, lol but who knows! I ended up cutting off the rear of my current system, and it's not much louder than before, but my rear window shakes more now! Lol the mufflers I have on here I am almost positive are walker mufflers, not very long at all but uber quiet even after wot, hell I hear my quadrajet more than my exhaust! Hahaha anyhow I'm now going to have to make my mind up, single would be the cheapest, but a dual with an x pipe is also sounding great! Ugh, choices!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody