Ethanol Free Or Premium Or Either

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Hello All, a relative close to me suggests I run my 1987 V10 on ethanol free gas only. The previous owner always filled it with premium grade where ever he went. What should I use? Ethanol free or Premium? ...Or both?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’d say it depends on how much it gets driven. Pure gas is ideal but not always practical plus (here) it’s about .50 cents more per gallon. If it sits a lot (like mine) I’d try to go with pure but if it’s driven frequently the typical ethanol mix is probably ok.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Agreed with nvrenuf, and every engine is different you might gain enough mileage to make it worth the extra cost. Our suburban only gets premium because she likes it. I wish clear was only. 50 cents more otherwise she'd get the good Crack too lol

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ethanol will work fine but not if stored for long periods. Current pump ethanol starts to degrade in 30 days. Non ethanol will last longer but not like the old days. Either way if stored use Stabil. Only other issue is the possibility the ECM not being able to adjust for ethanol. There is approximately a 20% capability for fuel trim adjustment. If the vehicle is already on the lean side it may not be able to adjust for the fuel. May cause a drivability issue. Just try it and see.

As for it making a difference in millage doubt you will notice any. I did an experiment with a 2017 Altima [30 mpg city] using 10% ethanol and non-ethanol. Millage change was negligible. Here the cost difference is about 75 cents a gallon. Did not make economic sense.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Yeah, MPG change from non to the 10% is minimal. Now 10% to 85% will be about a 20% decrease in MPG.

Stabil is a good product but like everything else does have it limitations/life expectancy.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hello All, a relative close to me suggests I run my 1987 V10 on ethanol free gas only. The previous owner always filled it with premium grade where ever he went. What should I use? Ethanol free or Premium? ...Or both?
Your 350 has about 9:1 compression. There is no reason to run anything more than regular. "Premium" doesn't mean better gas. It just means they took the same gas you have at 87 Octane and threw a bunch of additives in to make it more resistant to detonation. The only reason to run non-ethanol is if you only drive your truck enough to have to fill it up every couple months. If you are driving it daily or every couple days, you should be just fine on Regular pump gas.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So just to be clear, and I know it to be true that Ethanol free is better for vehicles that don’t get driven daily, is it because the fuel “varnishes” faster, or is it because of the rubber fuel line and gasket degradation? Or both?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So just to be clear, and I know it to be true that Ethanol free is better for vehicles that don’t get driven daily, is it because the fuel “varnishes” faster, or is it because of the rubber fuel line and gasket degradation? Or both?
Ethanol gets some weird parasite in it that gums stuff up if it sits too long. Leave gas with ethanol in your lawn mower (any small engine) too long and it grows green crap in the carb. Nothing like the varnish old gas used to cause.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it will absorb water from free air, just like brake fluid. If left for any amount of time it will absorb a bunch of water and then start to separate from the rest of the fuel. This means it will start to allow rust and in some cases molds to start growing in fuel systems. If it is run regularly so that it never sits long enough to happen, it isn't a big deal. If it sits for extended periods of time, its a huge problem.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I have never had any issues with ethanol fuel. However, I add fuel injector/carb cleaner to the mix a couple of days before I anticipate starting the engine. And, I never drain my lawnmower's fuel tank. I just add fresh gas with carb cleaner in it, and prime with the bulb, one pull and it fires up and runs like I ran every day. Run premium fuel in it, and every oil change run some fuel system cleaner through it and you'll be fine.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Ethanol gets some weird parasite in it that gums stuff up if it sits too long. Leave gas with ethanol in your lawn mower (any small engine)
I worked as a small engine mechanic for 5 years and it was common to find water in the gas tanks. The The ethanol pulls moisture out of the air and puts it into the fuel. Also the ethanol eats rubber severely. Causes old carbs to fail and they now make gaskets & seals to combat this. For example, all stihl equipment now has green molded fuel hoses where it used to be black. The black rubber line is still black but letters went from white to green I believe.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I worked as a small engine mechanic for 5 years and it was common to find water in the gas tanks. The The ethanol pulls moisture out of the air and puts it into the fuel. Also the ethanol eats rubber severely. Causes old carbs to fail and they now make gaskets & seals to combat this. For example, all stihl equipment now has green molded fuel hoses where it used to be black. The black rubber line is still black but letters went from white to green I believe.
That's good to know... Last time my MS441 magnum needed a gas line it was a PIA breaking it down that far, I'll make sure it gets a green one next time.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you own an older vehicle with a carb and can buy ethanol free for 50 cents more...buy it!

I can tell you that since I switched to ethanol free on my small equipment like mowers, pressure washers, go carts, etc almost all of my problems cured. No more run on, fires first kick/pull.

Also, try and always buy "Top Tier" if you can. This is a much better gas and reduces the carbon build up in the engine. Especially with GDI engines. All of my cars have improved since switching to Top Tier. My neighbor owns 3 Kia's with GDI engines and was always complaining about the way they ran, switched to Top Tier and within a few tankfuls, all better. GM and BMW recommend it on most turbo equipped cars.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I use normal gas in mine and it runs fine. Don't see much purpose in putting premium in it.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I use normal gas in mine and it runs fine. Don't see much purpose in putting premium in it.
Define normal...clearish, smells a bit, flammable? Not trying to be a d*** but normal is very subjective.

People confuse Ethanol and ethanol free; Premium, mid, and Regular; as well Top Tier and standard.

Normal at your local station may be Top Tier, mid grade, ethanol free depending on where you live and shop. Octanes vary around the country as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop