Engine swap to an LT1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Been looking for a new power plant for the dually that will help out my mileage. I have looked into about every engine I could think of and didn't like something about every option I had looked into. Then today at work I started to wonder why not an LT1??
They seem to be everywhere cheap, they put out more HP and Torque than my TBI 454, get way better mileage, and the camaro weighed about 3,300 pounds stock. My truck only weighs a couple hundred pounds more and that should be gone with the big block out.
Can anyone for see any down side to using the LT1 in my truck??

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Been looking for a new power plant for the dually that will help out my mileage. I have looked into about every engine I could think of and didn't like something about every option I had looked into. Then today at work I started to wonder why not an LT1??
They seem to be everywhere cheap, they put out more HP and Torque than my TBI 454, get way better mileage, and the camaro weighed about 3,300 pounds stock. My truck only weighs a couple hundred pounds more and that should be gone with the big block out.
Can anyone for see any down side to using the LT1 in my truck??

Are you shittin me dude? A Camaro weighs as much as a full size one ton square?

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
My dry shipping weight was around 3,500-3,800 pounds.The 4x4 models with other options wieghed in at 4,500 pounds from what I can find anyway. The 1996 Z28 had a weight of 3,300. Not sure if that's real accurate.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My dry shipping weight was around 3,500-3,800 pounds.The 4x4 models with other options wieghed in at 4,500 pounds from what I can find anyway. The 1996 Z28 had a weight of 3,300. Not sure if that's real accurate.

That's not right, your truck should be 5K or more. Is it a crew?

LT1 is not a good truck motor, not enough low end grunt. They make their power in mid range and on up.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I thought my truck should weigh more than that also, but a friend on another forum has a truck about like mine. His has a small block and it's a couple years older and his factory tag under his carpet says the dry shipping weight was only 3,600lbs. I scrounged a little more and found that most people thought the 4wd version of my truck was about 4,500. I'm gunna try to yank my rear seat and carpet tomorrow and see what the actual shipping weight of my truck was.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size

LT1 is not a good truck motor, not enough low end grunt. They make their power in mid range and on up.

agree , totally :yucky:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Dry shipping weight doesnt mean a thing. If you want to be precise take your truck over a scale. You will be suprised. Hell my 96 ECSB 4X4 weighs over 6K (1/2 ton).

The LT1 motors are a great motor, BUT they are NOT a truck engine.

The other downside to using the LT1 is the junk ass "opti spark" that they use, they are PRONE to failure with ANY moisture contact, and wouldnt you know it they mounted them right behind the water pump. YOU can get around this with a customized intake to use a distributor instead.

For what you are wanting there is really only 1 option that you have to go with.

CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL that is the only option I see that will allow you to increase your fuel mileage to any kind of savings, BUT honestly if you dont use your truck for pulling I think you would be better off with another type of vehichle if your wanting mileage.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
my reg cab long box 1/2 ton weighs 4800lbs across the scales..

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Holy ****. GM's shipping weights must have been WAY off.
As for a different type of vehicle, I don't drive my truck everyday. It's just a truck being built for summer time fun at shows. It's just hard to beat a Bagged and Body dropped dually. I just refuse to believe that 5 MPG is the best mileage I can ever hope to get. I know these things are about as aerodynamic as a brick and apparently weigh as much as a load of bricks.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
5 mpg? I get 9-10 mpg out of my 4x4 454 crew cab dually with 4.56 gears and tall bias ply tires. Something is up with yours.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Yep that's about what I get. Not sure what the issue could be. I just got it back together after removing all the emissions, adding long tube headers, new O2 sensor in the collector, and a tune up. Going to see what that does for it if anything.

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

unless you stick a turbo on it, then u'll see that torque start to rise.

Holy ****. GM's shipping weights must have been WAY off.
As for a different type of vehicle, I don't drive my truck everyday. It's just a truck being built for summer time fun at shows. It's just hard to beat a Bagged and Body dropped dually. I just refuse to believe that 5 MPG is the best mileage I can ever hope to get. I know these things are about as aerodynamic as a brick and apparently weigh as much as a load of bricks.

If you want better fuel economy why not go with a newer ls engine? HD's come with a 6.0 and they haul pretty good IMO

Last edited:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size

Optisparks suck too

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Ya that's optispark. The dizzy actually runs off of the end of the cam if I remember right. I didn't mind it on my 96 z28. It was the first year to have a vent plumbed into vacuum, so it stayed dry. Just don't spill any antifreeze in that area. I have looked into the 6.0L LS Swap a few times. Not sure I'd ever need that much power. I think I could make a 5.3 work and enjoy the extra fuel mileage. After all of the crew cab duallies I've seen in the last few days running a 350 I think a 5.3 would work just fine. Especially since I never really haul anything. Just a toy, not a work horse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising