Engine Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I figured your carb was a List # 1850-X which is a 600cfm Vacuum Secondary. You've actually got the right card on that truck. :waytogo: Very common and easy to work on too. Yep, I would have a filter though for sure. :grd:
I just realized your 16, you're doing a damn good job so far dude. Keep it up. Alot of kids don't take that initiative these days. They get thier daddy or uncle to do it all for them. :waytogo:

He can shoot a tick off a dogs ass a 300 yards too. :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He can shoot a tick off a dogs ass a 300 yards too. :High 5:

I can at least hit the dog at 300 yards and then it wouldn't matter if he had ticks. Does that count???

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hahahah.

LeadHead

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I figured your carb was a List # 1850-X which is a 600cfm Vacuum Secondary. You've actually got the right card on that truck. :waytogo: Very common and easy to work on too. Yep, I would have a filter though for sure. :grd:
I just realized your 16, you're doing a damn good job so far dude. Keep it up. Alot of kids don't take that initiative these days. They get thier daddy or uncle to do it all for them. :waytogo:

:patriot:

Thanks! I dont come from a mechanic family, so I'm just learning/doing this all on my own, so excuse me for my ignorance! I'm thankful for this forum and my buddy in Illinois to help me. :waytogo:

I got one more question....maybe. About the vacuum lines

I got a hose for the PCV and hooked it up to a front port. There was a line that was running from one port on the carb, to a front port. Which didn't make sense. So I plugged that line off and left the PCV hooked up there. There is another little port beside the PCV port that is plugged off, and I figured I might could run that hose back to it, but the ports are different sizes. Do I even need to hook that one up? I've still got a good bit of blowby.

You must be registered for see images attach

87wrangler

Reaction score
First Name
cris
Truck Year
Truck Model
wrangler
Engine Size
350 / 5.7l
has anyone had issues with idle "surging" on 87 tbi 350? when its cold and coolant temp sensor is in, it runs.... ok. engine cold and sensor is out it chokes and lots of unburnt fuel smoke. engine hot and sensor in, it falls on its face only at idle. rpm in gear about 300 -400. when elec fan kicks in, stalls out. engine hot and sensor out she runs like a top... idle about 550 600 in gear, fan doesnt effect it, runs mint.

any ideas would be very helpful

truck has 350 with an RV cam, performer tbi intake manifold, hedman long tube headers, bored .030"

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
i didnt look through all foru pages of posts. but my truck stalled a couple of times back in january at intersections and stuff. a mechanic that used to have a squarebody told me that it could be the distributor module. so i got a new distributor module (for HEI ignition) and it hasnt stalled since. he says the original ones start wearing out after 20 years or so. especially if running a lot at high temps

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
has anyone had issues with idle "surging" on 87 tbi 350? when its cold and coolant temp sensor is in, it runs.... ok. engine cold and sensor is out it chokes and lots of unburnt fuel smoke. engine hot and sensor in, it falls on its face only at idle. rpm in gear about 300 -400. when elec fan kicks in, stalls out. engine hot and sensor out she runs like a top... idle about 550 600 in gear, fan doesnt effect it, runs mint.

any ideas would be very helpful

truck has 350 with an RV cam, performer tbi intake manifold, hedman long tube headers, bored .030"

Have you cleaned the IAC valve, and done the minimum idle air adjustment? Also, look at your injectors and make sure they are spraying in a cone pattern, and not dripping.

1974chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have the same problem but it also happens when i am going 40 mph. I replaced the fuel pump, filters. The carb is a edelbrock and is only a year old. Do you guys know what could be the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet