Engine Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a stock 350 engine in my 76 K10. I have a coolant leak at the top of the engine and I was planning to replace the original water pump, thermostat and gasket, as well as the intake gaskets.

While I was there, I thought I would do some updates. Does anyone have recommendations for a good timing chain set, harmonic balancer, water pump, and intake manifold?

I plan to run fuel injection, possibly the Sniper kit, and I was wondering if I should update the ignition set too. What would be recommended?

Also, is it possible to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine? I plan to use the FelPro 1 piece gasket.

Anything else I should do while I'm there without doing a total engine rebuild?

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I replaced my coolant pump with an AC Delco one. Thought that since the original lasted forever, going OEM type would be the best option for longevity.

I am probably going to have to replace all the gaskets as well. I plan on going with felpro for all of it. For the one piece oil pan gasket, there is a thick one and a thin one. I am fairly certain for our era of small blocks it should be the thick one.

I kept the stock HEI distributor (with new cap and rotor), and I am keeping the engine stock, so no real recommendations for the other stuff.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
dunno man.....wanting to upgrade to fuel injection, and your already down to the timing chain? With what your doing already, your not far from a rebuild (time/money) while your in that deep and upgrading to fuel injection. Not knowing miles, compression, etc I'm going with gut on this one and say rebuild. You may see more when you have the valve covers off, oil pan off, etc. Hell if anything get a used 350 to drop in so you can drive it while you rebuild (not knowing if daily driver...etc.).

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The compression ranges between upper 120s to low 140s. The engine has 68k original miles and runs well when warm but takes a while to get started. This is not a daily driver but something to pull a trailer or haul stuff from Home Depot when needed. It does not burn oil. I have had the valve covers off and the engine is clean, at least on top.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Honestly, with all the work you are doing Id say get all the seals done good, put the motor back together but put a new intake and carb on. Get a nice economy carb with electronic choke. I put a edelbrock performer intake with a 1604 carb on, changed my world. Only thing I have to do now is pump it an insane amount because its cold as crap where I live. But the choke work is taken care of by the carb.

I say that because bypassing all the old emission equipment will make the engine run better and it can be a fools game trying to make it all work properly. If this is an option, I recommend it. At the very least a carb rebuild, time is what wears on you there.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My bad, I did not read you want to do EFI. Im not sure what manifolds are used in EFI, Im assuming if its TBI it would be similar to carbureted ones. The work you are doing is pretty good. Maybe while in there a new cap and rotor for the HEI. Wires, plugs. Unless you cant use that for EFI(no idea). If you end up needing to lift engine for a oil pan, motor mounts and trans mounts might be worthwhile. Because of mileage I wouldnt worry about wear. 68 a long time ago was high mileage, yes. But with modern oils and if it was maintained very well in its day you could easily put 200+ yet with good care.
And for parts, an AC delco water pump with a good gasket should do you fine. I know people really like silicone coolant hoses, so something to consider too.

By the way, lets see your ride!

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm thinking about installing the Edelbrock Performer Dual Plane intake manifold (2701). After researching, it didn't seem like the benefit of the air gap version (7501) was much better to pay an extra $100.

Does the engine need to be lifted to remove the oil pan? In my research, I'm getting conflicting information.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Does the engine need to be lifted to remove the oil pan? In my research, I'm getting conflicting information.

No, on your solid axle 4 wheel drive you will be able to remove the pan. 2 wheel drive you must raise the engine.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads