Engine exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
I live in Texas and have been doing some research about emissions. I found out that there is no emissions testing done in my county so does that mean I can get rid of my cat? I hope I can because I want to straight pipe my truck and saw this cool way to reattach mufflers easy to pass inspection.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, here's the thing. Even though your county or state won't bug you about the emissions stuff, it's still as federal regulation that you have one. That being said, I don't run a cat on either of mine. Mississippi doesn't have any kind of emissions regulations, which is where I register them. You could always compromise by punching the cat hollow so it looks like you have one, but I think you'd be fine without one.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In Texas, you can legally remove the cat, and any other emission stuff, if it's an 82 or older, but they usually don't look unless there's an exhaust leak.

Zero Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Zane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 ci/ 5.7 L
So I could put a cat on then a muffler right after it on a removable pipe and just put it back on to go get it inspected.

txmedictom

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
1985 and 1974
Truck Model
C10 and K10/20
Engine Size
350 and undecided
So I could put a cat on then a muffler right after it on a removable pipe and just put it back on to go get it inspected.
DPS can do a visual check and technically cite you if it isn't there. I live in SA area and have just recently cut off the cat on my 85 C10. If I get stopped then it is just a temporary fix until I can afford a new cat.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Here is what you do. Either get 2 hi flow race cats that don't amount to anything but a resonator or get 2 oem cats from something that are a strait design knock the **** out of them and run a pipe threw them and weld it up on the inside so it looks legit. That's what I always did but her in PA 1995 and back are visual only emissions inspection 96 up plug ins. But then again there is ways of tricking the ECM into thinking there is a cat, buy limiting what the post cat O2 sensor sees as far as exhaust flow. Double anti-fowlers work great. Drill the one the O2 sensor fits in and assemble.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod