Engine Bay Wiring Harness ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ON my 88 Burb that was originally a TBI 454... The idiots that pulled the motor and trans cut the TBI harness and the engine bay wiring harness from under the Master Cylinder. I am not going with a TBI motor, so that harness I am not concerned about. But, I need the engine bay harness for guauges, starter, alternator etc. Anyone know what years will interchange on this? I do have a 86 3/4 ton Heavy Duty truck engine bay harness. I am wondering if that will work. I am going non computer, so I just need the basics. I also have a engine bay harness off an 81 1/2 ton 305 Truck that might work. I just want to unplug the harness at the firewall and plug the good harness in and rock with it. Anyone know the interchangeabilty on these harnesses????

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is an excellent question. I also wonder what the answer is. Can you check with Painless Wiring and see if there is answer over there somewhere?

I know the frame harness firewall plugs match between a '78 C-20 Burban and a '85 K-10.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:popcorn: subbing to this thread to find out the answer....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Checking Painless is a good suggestion. Might give some info on the intechangeability. But I won't buy from Painless. To damn much. Their prices are ridiculous.

I think the engine bay harness also is differant for options like Cruise Control. And I will have Cruise Control. Pretty much a have to have for me on long trips with my back and neck problems.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Checking Painless is a good suggestion. Might give some info on the intechangeability. But I won't buy from Painless. To damn much. Their prices are ridiculous.

I think the engine bay harness also is differant for options like Cruise Control. And I will have Cruise Control. Pretty much a have to have for me on long trips with my back and neck problems.
Yah, you can at least ***** Painsless and use them to get your info and kick them back into the gutter, lol.

Funny you mentioned the cruise control, I have been loving mine now that I fixed that vacuum hose to it. Damn I missed it. I even use it to do 35 MPH. :)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I use my cruise on a constant basis. If I don't I'll get speeding tickets left and right!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I use my cruise on a constant basis. If I don't I'll get speeding tickets left and right!
I like beating the **** out the buttons on the turn signal stem, lol. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:lol: The cruise on the '77 isn't hooked up at the moment but it did come with it. I'll have to get that hooked up again some time especially if I ever take a long trip with it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would think other then some add ons like smog controls electric choke, ccc carbs and such that any 73-87 engine harness should or would work. I mean come on like you said you only need starter, solenoid,(which would be solenoid only really) alt. and distributor. Then of course the oil pressure, water temp, and volts. is the fuel and speedo tied into that?

IMo if you could wire or get what you needed for the engine maybe do aftermarket gauges, since they are only like $40 for a set. oil, water, volts.

Honestly if you got the harnesses around, yank it and try it. is the lights tied in with that crap too?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
the main thing to look out for is what's at the C100 connector.

I need to start getting wiring diagrams for our trucks sometime soon.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would think other then some add ons like smog controls electric choke, ccc carbs and such that any 73-87 engine harness should or would work. I mean come on like you said you only need starter, solenoid,(which would be solenoid only really) alt. and distributor. Then of course the oil pressure, water temp, and volts. is the fuel and speedo tied into that?

IMo if you could wire or get what you needed for the engine maybe do aftermarket gauges, since they are only like $40 for a set. oil, water, volts.

Honestly if you got the harnesses around, yank it and try it. is the lights tied in with that crap too?
The lights and fuel sender are on thier own harness that run down the frame to the front and the back. So basiclally there is a frame harness and an engine harness.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, as 89S there is 2 differant connectors. 1 is engine bay for the engine, and another for everything else that comes off the fuse block. There there are a couple seperate harneses for things like AC if equiped which mine is. All that is still good, they just cut the harness at the motor and the firewall for the TBI. Good thing is, I do have the harness its just only about 10 inches of the wire, so I can match up with the harnesses I have. I'll just have to pull them off the parts trucks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good luck bubba.