Engine and trans numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hi guys finally got my truck home noticed it's not changing gear very well! Where do I find the numbers so I can identify the transmission and engine so I can get right bits sent over?

Paul

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Hi guys finally got my truck home noticed it's not changing gear very well! Where do I find the numbers so I can identify the transmission and engine so I can get right bits sent over?

Paul
I'm not familiar with the casting number locations, but you can check the RPO code list inside the glove box which should tell you all the options your truck left the factory with.

Unfortunately, that won't help much if the truck has been swapped around between manufacturing and today.

Transmissions have a distinct pan shape that can usually be determined pretty easily.

If I remember correctly, the only transmissions that came factory were the TH350, TH400, 700r4, SM465?
You must be registered for see images attach

May be missing one or two, but the engine options were the 305ci, 350ci, 400ci, 454ci. Forgot the ci of the inline six... 283?

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks that will help I know my engine is the 6.2 diesel just be nice to find the number.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If I remember correctly, The militery versions like yours all got the " J " code 6.2 ltr. diesel. The trans should be a th400.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Cheers tried to have a look but weather turned on me! Little bit off topic but noticed the front springs look fairly flat?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Cheers tried to have a look but weather turned on me! Little bit off topic but noticed the front springs look fairly flat?

Completely normal. Trucks lime ours are among the heaviest duty ones built. The half ton trucks are slightly inverted as they sit normally. The only time you'll see a positive arch in the front is if it's been lifted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, you'll have the Turbo 400 in that truck.

I've always liked how people from other countries use different terms even though they still speak English. The second I seen, "get the right bits", I knew to look over and see where you're from. Sure enough the UK. I remember once talking to a guy from the UK and he was talking about the bonnet on his car. I was lost til I realized he's just using a different term than we use in the US. I've always found the differences interesting.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yep, you'll have the Turbo 400 in that truck.

I've always liked how people from other countries use different terms even though they still speak English. The second I seen, "get the right bits", I knew to look over and see where you're from. Sure enough the UK. I remember once talking to a guy from the UK and he was talking about the bonnet on his car. I was lost til I realized he's just using a different term than we use in the US. I've always found the differences interesting.

I started watching all the old British episodes of Top Gear after all the drama happened and the hosts left. It got me used to the different turns of phrase that get used over there. I barely notice anymore.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm not going to say we used it first lol! Top gear over here now is awful the new grand tour on Amazon is better!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm not going to say we used it first lol! Top gear over here now is awful the new grand tour on Amazon is better!

I have never watched any of the new episodes of Top Gear since Clarkson and company left. And I can't wait for the next season of GT to start on Amazon. Hell, I've never seen any of the American version of the show either.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Is there a US version of top gear?

Sadly, yes. It's been around for several years now. You guys should know by now that you can't have a good show that we won't copy. Lol

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
If it is a TH400, depending on what not changing gear very well constitutes, I would look at the vacuum modulator and the vacuum line to start with, 400's are pretty fond of having crap shift when modulator not functioning correct.

paulmorton

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yeah was thinking of doing oil filter and modulator and seeing what happens!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man