Electric fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
Hey guys, I'm new here to the square body forum. I figured I'd post one of the many questions I will be asking for the weekends to come.

I'll start by telling you what I have.
1979 3/4 ton camper special 4wd automatic(turbo 400). The truck originally came with the 6.6 400 and now has a common sb 350 due to the previous owner. I bought a BB 454 last weekend out of a 78 RV. Motor has 73,000 miles. All original, nothing done. I plan to lift this rig and throw some 38's on it. ( this will strictly be a mall crawler not a rock crawler) may take the boat to the lake once in a while. The motor needs a fuel pump and I was wondering if there is an issue with running a late model external electric fuel pump? What will I run into and what should I plan for. Also this is my first project so any knowledge with dropping one of these beasts in is appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Electric fuel pump will be fine only thing I can think of is get a block-off plate for where the old one goes on the block. Some people would just leave it but I personally would feel better if it was eliminated. Make sure it's a low pressure pump (8-10 psi) and I would rather have one wired to a toggle switch rather than wired to the ignition "On" position.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
In my opinion, If the engine you want to use has a provision for a mechanical pump, use it. no need for electric. "late model" pump's pressures are too high, and would require a regulator= More $$$.
There are small electric pumps available from the parts store, the Purolator pulsing pumps come to mind, and I would stayin the range of 7 psi for a carburetor.
And like C4 said, if you do use an electric pump, get a block off plate for the old pump mounting provision.

Last edited:

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
This is something like I am considering.

http://www.holley.com/12-802-1.asp

What else would I need? It says it comes with a regulator. I think it would be nice to turn the key on or toggle and it start, no tap dancing on the gas pedal.

What you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have an electric now, but Im bout to put the mechanical back on. Keep in mind when you mount the elctric pump it needs to be at the same level as the tank, as close to the tank as possible. You really need to put a filter before the pump and a smaller one before the carb. Now if you mount it all the way in the back you have to get braided steel fuel line because IMO its not safe to run rubber hose that far. Braided line cost more. Then youll need to install a relay so you dont burn up the pump and if you wanna do it the most professional as possible then install a cut off switch also.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
This is something like I am considering.

http://www.holley.com/12-802-1.asp

What else would I need? It says it comes with a regulator. I think it would be nice to turn the key on or toggle and it start, no tap dancing on the gas peddle.

What you think?

Your going to have to dance on the pedal with a carburetor, you would have to go EFI otherwise. An electric fuel pump is not going to set your choke for you.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I use an electric pump on my carb, but it is the Holley "Red" pump. The one you have a link to will pump more than you will need. The internal regulator can be adjusted to a good pressure but the actual pressure depends on the carberator. The fuel tanks should already have a baffle in it because the orginal engine was injected, this will help with pick up issues that come from having no baffles. If you run it with an ignition source make sure to have the relay tied to a low oil pressure switch, this will kill the pump if there isn't enough oil pressure and will not let it run unless the engine is running.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I use an electric pump on my carb, but it is the Holley "Red" pump. The one you have a link to will pump more than you will need. The internal regulator can be adjusted to a good pressure but the actual pressure depends on the carberator. The fuel tanks should already have a baffle in it because the orginal engine was injected, this will help with pick up issues that come from having no baffles. If you run it with an ignition source make sure to have the relay tied to a low oil pressure switch, this will kill the pump if there isn't enough oil pressure and will not let it run unless the engine is running.

It will still run until the fuel in the bowl is gone, and he has a 79, no baffles in the tank.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jordan, what is the reason for the electric pump?

whiplash889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
you can find the electric pumps at auto zone or advance there roughly about 40$ there black i do recall. i use them in my demolition derby cars i run a 350 mild cam with a 4 bbl 400 trans i used the block off plate for the old fuel pump and mounted the electric on on my cage. with a 50 amp toggle stright into a filter then stright to the carb, works great.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Jims86, you are correct about the baffles. I misread the year this morning, had too many things going on and should have paid more attention.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jims86, you are correct about the baffles. I misread the year this morning, had too many things going on and should have paid more attention.

I know what you mean....i have so much swirling around in my brain, just waiting for it all to slow down so i can grab some of it.

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
Jims86,
My reasoning is, the 454 that I recently bought needs a fuel pump. I just figured electric fuel pumps were nice. And if I'm buying one anyways, might as well get a good one

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jims86,
My reasoning is, the 454 that I recently bought needs a fuel pump. I just figured electric fuel pumps were nice. And if I'm buying one anyways, might as well get a good one

Thats cool, I just wanted to make sure that you know that there is no benifit to changing from mechanical, to electric, unless the 454 does not have a provision for the mechanical pump.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I agree Jim, the only reason I have an electric is the roller cam didn't have the lobe for a mechanical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24