Dual tank swb regular bed to single tank stepside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I searched the posts, but I can’t seem to find anything, so if someone has a link to one already done, please post it for me.
I found a stepside bed for my truck, but it is a single tank. Is there a way to convert it to a dual tanks and keep it looking factory, or is there an easy way to convert my tanks to a single tank? If there’s not a link, could someone provide me with a parts list I would need for either?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
To convert it to dual tanks, you would need a fender with fuel filler opening and the filler hose to match it.

Converting to single tank is easy. You either remove the extra tank and the switching valve, or simply don't use that side anymore.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Also make sure to have the right tank. Im assuming you have a SWB truck already and are putting a stepside on? Not a LWB to SWB stepside? tanks were different size.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
tanks were different size.
Really? Visually, my swb and lwb dual tanks look the same, but I have never had them off their respective trucks.
I am thinking of swapping it to my swb, but after some consideration, I think I will hold off. I want to use both tanks. I was just pondering the idea because I’ve been thinking about swapping my front clip and cab from my lwb to my swb and I found a swb bed the same color.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I should clarify, you could get 18 gallon tanks in a lwb but only 16 in a swb pretty sure. could be they are both 16

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Short trucks had 16 gallon tanks only. Long trucks could have 16 or 20 gallon tanks.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You do not need the correct fender. You can mount the filler inside the fender with a muffler clamp and a small bracket. If you lower the truck, this will not work well.

I added the passenger side tank on my '82. I Put the filler on the driver's side with piping to the other side. Fill both tanks without moving the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You do not need the correct fender. You can mount the filler inside the fender with a muffler clamp and a small bracket. If you lower the truck, this will not work well.

I added the passenger side tank on my '82. I Put the filler on the driver's side with piping to the other side. Fill both tanks without moving the truck.
Big brain. Does it have enough down slope so you can fill it at full speed?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Big brain. Does it have enough down slope so you can fill it at full speed?

No, pipe is level, works fine. I used copper piping, 1.25 or 1.5" I forget. What ever size that matched the fill tube. To put one pipe in to the other side, you would need to pull a fender. I cut the pipe in half, from under the truck, slid one piece in each side, then connected the two pieces with a short rubber hose an clamps. Ran vent hose for the filler next to it. I also just "T"ed the charcoal can vent. Brass valve to switch tanks mounted below the cab floor. Switch on the dash to switch the gauge senders.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Did you flare the pipe or at least have threads on the end so it had grip and doesnt pull loose? Id put a simpleflare on to help encourage it to stay with vibrations and such. But awesome, good job.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m just going to hold out for a different bed. I need dual tank holes because I’m going to lower the truck, so I don’t want to go the route of running tubing. I did research the tanks to find that some lwb trucks came with 20 gallon tanks and others 16. I also found that the only difference in them is the overall width by under 14”. I think the lwb has 16 gallon tanks, but it has been a long time since I filled them up. I’m wondering if I could swap them without clearance issues if my lwb has 20 gallon tanks? I don’t know, but I plan on getting cracking on this swap soon. I’ll probably pull the bed off the lwb this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06