dual shock option help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys...was told I have a dual shock setup on the front. Two frame mounts up top and a single bolt with a stud on bottom. I'd like to put all that back, but don't know what to buy. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm also concerned with the shock length since I have a 6" lift. Any help would be appreciated. It didn't come with front shocks or bolts

You must be registered for see images attach

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have that same factory dual mount set up on my crew cab and I think it looks cool , anyway I always buy my shocks by legnth not by application. I would just measure from bolt hole to bolt hole and order whatever shocks you need , (with the right ends of course). Another thing I would do is beef out the lower mount on the axle , they do not hold up well with a daul shock set up. As far as shocks go I like rancho 9000's or bilstien's but thats just me. Summit is a good place to look at shock legnth's or you can find legnth's on line as well.

I have had a lot of daul set ups on my square's and I have smoked the lower mount everytime , so now the first thing I do is beef it out.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You know that unless they are valved very soft your truck will ride like a brick *********.
Twin shocks = double the dampening force = brickshithouse.
Maybe two RS 9000s (the adjustable models) turned all the way down could work.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have dual 9000's on 1 with a big block on the nose of my cc and it rides really well. My step side I sold had dual bilstiens , (soft valveing) on the front with skyjacker soft ride springs and a smallblock on the nose and it rode great as well.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You know that unless they are valved very soft your truck will ride like a brick *********.
Twin shocks = double the dampening force = brickshithouse.
Maybe two RS 9000s (the adjustable models) turned all the way down could work.

^^^X2

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have dual 9000's on 1 with a big block on the nose of my cc and it rides really well. My step side I sold had dual bilstiens , (soft valveing) on the front with skyjacker soft ride springs and a smallblock on the nose and it rode great as well.

Reason it rode nice is the BB. Mine rode like a caddy with the 6.2 but rides like a tank with just a SB in it now!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
These are the part #s for ProComp ES series shocks. I used the ES3000 shocks and they do ride like a brick with out the weight of a BB. But they do look super cool compared to just single shocks.

Lift height 5-7"

ES1000 short/inner = #124502 long/outer = #125509..... rear = #129500

ES3000 short/inner = #324502 long/outer = #325509..... rear = #329500

ES9000 short/inner = #924502 long/outer = #925509..... rear = #929500

For the shock connections to the axle you put the rear shock in the axle bracket and then you use a spacer which is about 3/8-1/2" wide(you can just use washers to make up the spacer) and then bolt the front shock to the inside of the shock bracket with the spacer in between. Use a grade 8 bolt.

You have to order rubber boots separately!

Klinthill544

Reaction score
First Name
Klint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
402 BB
I have that same factory dual mount set up on my crew cab and I think it looks cool , anyway I always buy my shocks by legnth not by application. I would just measure from bolt hole to bolt hole and order whatever shocks you need , (with the right ends of course). Another thing I would do is beef out the lower mount on the axle , they do not hold up well with a daul shock set up. As far as shocks go I like rancho 9000's or bilstien's but thats just me. Summit is a good place to look at shock legnth's or you can find legnth's on line as well.

I have had a lot of daul set ups on my square's and I have smoked the lower mount everytime , so now the first thing I do is beef it out.

I'm looking into shocks as well, so after reading your post I measured mine.. The front measures 18" and the rear 22" from the top bracket to the bottom. So I need to match those numbers to the extended distance the shock advertises?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Is there am off road advantage to the dual shocks I deffinetly think they look good

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have a dual shock set up on the front and back of my truck. I have a 6 inch lift on it as well. My truck rides a little stiff. Now in all honesty I have a pretty stiff lift kit under my truck anyways. My front spring has 6 leaves and it is very heavy duty. It was made by a company called Rugged Trail which is no longer in business. I also just replaced the front spring bushings and put four new shocks on it as well.

I went with a little different shocks with my truck. I bought these shocks years ago from FourWheelparts wholesale. They were on sale. In any event here is the link. I have the prerunner style. I liked these shocks because they had a built in bump stop so there is no chance to blow the shock up.

http://doetsch-shocks.com/Images/doetsch_banner1.jpg

EDIT: I could not believe how much the double shock brackets cost for these trucks now. My son was surprised as well. I told him to be glad I bought them years ago. I also have their double steering stabilizer set up.

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I'm looking into shocks as well, so after reading your post I measured mine.. The front measures 18" and the rear 22" from the top bracket to the bottom. So I need to match those numbers to the extended distance the shock advertises?

You want that measurement to be the middle (or close to it) of the shock travel. So you want to compare the extended and collapsed lengths of the shock and then have the middle length be close to the measurement at ride height.

If you installed a shock that was fully extended at ride height, you would have no "droop" which means that it would prevent the axle/wheel from dropping any further than the length of the shock (it would kill a shock pretty quickly).

The exact opposite for if you had a shock that was compressed too much at ride height. You would have no uptravel as it would be preventing the wheel/axle from moving upwards with road travel/bumps/potholes. (it would essentially make it as if you put a solid bar in the place of the shock and will either bend the shaft or blow it apart on a hard hit).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek